modern hip-hop classics:
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
- haven't heard.
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
- a classic definitely, this was the album that made me realise just how important the neptunes sound was to music in those years.
Common - Like Water for Chocolate
- another classic, probably my favourite common record behind 'be' (which apparently is an unpopular opinion but whatever).
The Diplomats - Diplomatic Immunity
- not heard.
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
- it's decent. i think it's kinda weird to throw this in when 'ironman' and 'supreme clientele' are everything you could want in a hip hop record.
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
- jay-z is pretty consistent, you could put a number of his records here. no complaints.
Kanye West - Late Registration
- i'd say 'the college dropout' is a better record, but you can't really go wrong with this record either.
Madvillain - Madvillainy
- always thought this record was overrated but then again, madlib and doom have always been overrated to me despite being great at their craft.
OutKast - Stankonia
- this is a weird pick. out of their pre-'hey ya' albums, i'd say this one was the worst. it still has it's merit but i think they dumbed themselves down a little (and fair play to them for selling millions doing it).
newskool essentials ('10-pres):
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
- pretty good. i wasn't expecting it to be great because andre 3000 was always the more interesting character out of the duo, but big boi can of course hold his own. i prefer it when the two are working together though ('roses' was the best song out of their double album and that's probably because it was the only song where they both had presence).
Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4eva
- not heard.
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
- curren$y is cool with me and i like some of the stuff here, but it's a pretty mediocre record.
Danny Brown - XXX
- probably the most interesting rapper of this decade so far. no complaints.
Drake - Take Care
- awful, insufferable garbage.
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- definitely a modern masterpiece. no one expected this after his weird break-up record.
Killer Mike - R.A.P Music
- it's good but it only really holds up for a few listens. it's a total sugar rush record.
also, i have barely been at this forum the past few months. it's somewhat akin to checking my myspace at this point so i'm not 'chasing you around' nor am i trying to impress an internet forum all the time. i just tell 'em how i see 'em.