View Single Post
Old 03.26.2012, 11:33 PM   #24
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
Lots of contradiction in these statements. You state that Goo "isn't very impressive as a whole", but then go on to label 7 of the album's 11 tracks as "great". I'll give you 'My Friend Goo', but 'Mary Christ' is one bad-ass tune (would fit right in on Thurston's Psychic Hearts). 'Titanium Expose' is yet another "great" tune and 'Scooter & Jinx' - on good headphones - can prove to be quite transportive. I'm not saying it's you, per se, but a lot of folks on this board think it's cool to say Goo and Dirty are SY's "sell-out" albums and cite A Thousand Leaves and New York City Ghosts & Flowers as somehow being superior albums. To each his own (obviously), but Goo and Dirty should be viewed as the SY cornerstones they, in fact, are...

Cornerstones how? Maybe milestones, at best. They both (Goo + Dirty) serve as documentation for what the band was doing at a very specific time in history, but they aren't career defining on any level. They define a chapter or two in a large book...but whatever. There are only two (arguably three, EJST+NS) that go into that sludgy (cough cough, "grungy") rock direction, and band members themselves have openly admitted to altering their sound a bit during that period because a) it was fun, and b ) they were trying to maintain an audience with the same bands they felt were (somewhat..very somewhat) innovative AND accessible at the time (Nirvana and Mudhoney). Of course said bands were influenced by the Youth (esp. Daydream...), but then again Daydream definitely stands out on it's own when compared to Goo/etc.

I think they are great for what they are, and sometimes I absolutely LOVE listening to them (Esp. Dirty...which absolutely rips Goo to shreds sans Lee's Goo material). Very nostalgic records. And you say plenty of Youth fans hate those albums (their "sell out records") or whatever...but let's not forget the MANY that act as if they are the only Youth records (it happens a lot).