View Single Post
Old 07.11.2006, 02:00 PM   #55
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
its okay..... i read something different. its true, beefheart had no idea how to play any instrument or music. but have you ever played the piano? you dont need much technique or prior knowledge to bang on some keys untill you find something that sounds good to you. this is what he did at least for the entire trout mask replica album although i think he did it for all. It's true, he didnt tell the guitarist how to barre the chord from the piano he was playing. But he did make up all the notes being played. He made them practice the album for like 9 months. He wouldnt even let them leave the fucking house. It's insane I know. So when they went in to record the album, they recorded it in a fucking day or so because they had it so spot on. Zappa just pressed record really.

If I remember I'll see if I can find the article where the ACTUAL memebers of the band talk about their experience.

oddly enough, one of the songs on trout mask replica was probably 95% zappa with the only contribution of captain was his lyrics recorded through a phone, which evidently was ZAPPA'S IDEA, not captain.

I would say captain was responsible for about 40% of the album with the magic band being the other 40% and i think a good 20% goes to Zappa, his influence on Captain Beefheart, which stems from when they were teenagers, and Zappa's production which made Trout Mask Replica so unique. i don't think TMR would've been the same with anyone else producing it.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|