Thread: Anna Calvi
View Single Post
Old 10.21.2011, 09:54 AM   #79
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
When I was referring to banality I was referring to Circuit des Yeux's stuff, still not sure why she's relevant to Calvi. I saw her at Silent Barn in Brooklyn (I think it was at the infamous Drunkdriver/Mattin show) in early '09 and it was your average art-school-person-knob-twiddling-on-floor display.

I'd say Rider To The Sea is very surf-influenced, along with a few other tracks. I'm not really a fan of her Calvi's visual aesthetic (it's not Annie Lennox AT ALL - Annie has always been visually engaging and Calvi looks like a failed flamenco dancer showing up to a board meeting, but w/e). I do wonder how the whole hype got rolling for her. She must have known someone at Domino or in the "mainstream indie" world because she appeared out of nowhere.

I was struggling to see a resemblance between Anna Calvi and Bon Iver. I obviously misread your post. Sorry and thanks for making things clearer for me.

In my case, when I say i like her aesthetic I refer most especially to her videos which all have a vibe that reminds me heavily of David Lynch's work, but i'm not against her flamenco outfit. That said, I'd rather focus on the songs and they work well for me.

I think i read somewhere that she was signed by Domino Records on Bill Ryder-Jones' suggestion, although it's not clear to me if she got the contract before getting Brian Eno's sign of approval, but that's obviously a factor on her success today even if he is actually wrong with the Patti Smith comparison. She and her band were touring as the opening act for mainstream bands such as Interpol, and Grinderman; gained Nick Cave as a fan and some more notoriety due in large part to their music's merits, I suppose...