View Single Post
Old 08.04.2011, 11:29 PM   #17
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I have less room for things I've heard before that are only slightly different... I understand that it's fun to play music, even if it's a retread, but I really don't have time for it. I really have to dig for something that grips me. I used to be far more militant. My listening identity (I get douche-chills just saying that) was more about what I caustically rejected than what I embraced. And it still is to a certain extent. I really can't stand tepid indie rock bullshit or P4K crap like Animal Collective, but I've learned to ignore it.

When it comes to new bands, I tend to gravitate towards people who develop their own musical identities over time and diversify/bring something special to the table with each new release. I can hear a song in passing by some halfway decent punk band or something and go "oh, that's nice" but I'm probably not going to rush out to buy a one-off 7" just because it's a momentary hit among some nerds on message boards. But I suppose that's the norm again, like it was at the beginning of rock'n'roll, which seems more like a fruitless enterprise with each passing day. There is such little quality control with the sceptre of "blog rock" and it seems many bands don't really have a gestation period anymore.

Albini once said something about how he views his favorite records as conversations. One listens to a record and walks away feeling like they've had a conversation with the band, an experience that clued them into something they weren't aware of before playing it. There are very few TOTAL PACKAGE bands around like that now.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|