View Single Post
Old 08.04.2011, 11:19 PM   #16
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm...I just turned 29, and I still like loud, fast, and abrasive music. Maybe I don't listen to it exclusively like I did when I was younger, but I'd still rather listen to something hard/heavy than something light/soft--unless of course, I've already listened to 5 or 6 hard/heavy songs in a row previously. I like variety; I've seeded my Pandora stations with everything from Miles Davis to Nirvana to Meshuggah to Massive Attack. Maybe because I'm a musician I look at music differently.

When seeking out/listening to new bands, I've found the best thing is to keep your expectations low. Because the older you get, the more points of reference you have and the more likely it is that you'll hear something you've heard before. And honestly, if your enjoyment of music is based around how "groundbreaking" it is, you're gonna hit a wall because not only is there not much ground yet to be broken, but that which seems old hat to older ears will be fresh to younger ones. It's like when a new rollercoaster opens at an amusement park and there's a big line; nearly everyone will get a chance to ride it, but once you've had your turn it won't be the same the next time around. But if you enjoyed the ride the first time, what stopping you from riding again?

I will probably always love Sonic Youth. Because in addition to having been "groundbreaking" at one time, the sounds produced by their guitars form unusual but very memorable hooks. And from EVOL onwards, those guys could really write a song. Maybe every once in a while they hit a lyrical clam ("Boys go to Jupiter/Get more stupider"), but I think SY can make great pop songs in addition to experimenting with sounds. I'll admit I don't listen to them half as often I did when I first discovered them, but when I do hear them, I quickly remember why they always are and will always be my favorite band.