View Single Post
Old 06.04.2011, 04:21 PM   #77
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
I feel like there has always been a plethora of shit. Just because you make it to record doesn't make it good. Consult any $.99 bin at a record shop for proof.

I hear what you're saying though. I think these types of things are important, but they are by no means how I judge the quality of the music. At the same time, I've never been one for aesthetics in this field. In bands, I'm never the guy that makes the fliers, or the album covers or t-shirts. I put all my focus on the music and I tend to take it pretty seriously. I guess this is part of the reason why I find the way music is going to be liberating. At the end of he day, I get to focus on what I enjoy doing, which is making music and I don't have to worry about all the other stuff that comes with it.

Kinnik. You're jealous of other people and the meaning they are able to attribute to their lives. No matter how vapid, or "false", their identities might be, I think you prove to everyone that it is certainly better than nothing.
I respect that, and I agree that not everyone makes music with an aesthetical view on how it should be presented, but that attitude contrasted with others, artistically, even before the music industry itself existed. My point is that as bad or good a musician you are, if you make your music commercially available, you should expect revenue if people are downloading
it. It doesn't matter if your music is crap or not. If you're not being given something for free, but you still decide to take it, you are stealing it, thus contributing to a culture unable to help out those whose artistic merit really deserve further investigation and support. I feel ambiguous towards the idea that someone shouldn't expect to make a career out of it. That seems to ignore the fact that playing music to some is a vocation. You deny that to peoplewhose main purpose in life is to produce music, and end up with the mindset of a fascist. Sure, in the current economical climate it's easy to think that being a musician isn't hard graft, but then why should we expect music to exist if we refuse to help out with its development?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|