View Single Post
Old 05.11.2011, 02:14 PM   #3960
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Played through BioShock a little while back:

Started off really great, played the demo first and really enjoyed it. And then around the halfway point of the game you realize, pretty much the entire game is in the demo.

There are only like five types of enemies in the game boiled into three groups (two of which can be completely ignored if you want). The game just becomes super repetitive right away. Hacking is beyond annoying, the vending machines become tedious (have fun listening to 'welcome to the circus of vaaaaaluuuuue!' a million times). The plasmids are frustrating because after so long they're only marginally effective. And the game often wastes your time with busy work side quests where you have to collect stuff or rebuild something.

The much heralded (and honestly kind of hackneyed) plot has several holes. And the vita chamber is one of the lamest mechanics in recent history. No fight is challenging in the game and requires no effort, especially against the supposedly intimidating Big Daddies which just get reduced to silly wars of attrition where you whittle their health down over the course of five or six vita chamber trips.

And the Little Sisters are so silly. The game tries to present you with this big moral dilemma over whether you should rescue them or harvest them. If you harvest, you get more ADAM, if you rescue, you get less. But the difference is actually marginal, almost the same really. And even ethically, it's so black and white that it's not even morally challenging or interesting.

It's an alright game I guess, but it's such a shame because System Shock 2 was SO good. And this game basically is System Shock 2, which might be another thing that bothers me about it, since it reuses so many ideas from SS2. Ah well.

The most honest review I've read so far. My cousin was trying to convince me to get it and play it....but seeing what was happening when he was playing....it seemed kind of boring.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|