View Single Post
Old 04.06.2011, 04:21 PM   #14459
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know a lot about horror flicks or their history but the thing that got most of my attention in NoTLD was that the main character was a brother rather than the usual whitey. this is probably the only non-token black character in horror films outside of Blackula. of course at the end (surprise!!!) he gets shot by a bunch of rednecks. i find weird that nobody ever discusses this movie within its civil-rights era context. it was 1968 for fucks sakes. anyway, yeah.

Ha! I just wrote an essay on this a week ago. The funny thing about it is that Romero didn't even initially plan to create that subtext. It just so happened that the best man for the part was black. His filmography is full of lucky accidents.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|