View Single Post
Old 04.06.2011, 03:38 PM   #14456
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
It's funny how Romero gets so much credit for taking horror out of it's gothic-age, and adding a real grittiness to it, with Night of the Living Dead, when a film like Carnival of Souls came out 7 years prior. Also, what about all of the 1950's mutation flicks? They may not have the grit of NoTLD or CoS, but they certainly aren't "gothic" - arguably even less-so than either film.

Maybe it's because Carnival of Souls went unnoticed during it's original run, and Night of the Living Dead hit it big initially? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter - seeing as they're both widely considered classics now. But Night of the Living Dead was obviously strongly influenced by Carnival of Souls for many of the traits it is so heavily praised for.

Carnival of Souls creeps the hell out of me though, which, ironically, very few films actually do. The cinematography is stunning, and obviously inspired by early German expressionist horror like Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu (I still have yet to see Vampyr). It also feels uncannily modern at times, given all the fluid camera movements.

Has anyone ever seen the atrocious 1998 remake produced by Wes Craven? What a disaster that is. Yuck!

i don't know a lot about horror flicks or their history but the thing that got most of my attention in NoTLD was that the main character was a brother rather than the usual whitey. this is probably the only non-token black character in horror films outside of Blackula. of course at the end (surprise!!!) he gets shot by a bunch of rednecks. i find weird that nobody ever discusses this movie within its civil-rights era context. it was 1968 for fucks sakes. anyway, yeah.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|