View Single Post
Old 04.04.2011, 09:49 PM   #14447
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
It's funny how Romero gets so much credit for taking horror out of it's gothic-age, and adding a real grittiness to it, with Night of the Living Dead, when a film like Carnival of Souls came out 7 years prior. Also, what about all of the 1950's mutation flicks? They may not have the grit of NoTLD or CoS, but they certainly aren't "gothic" - arguably even less-so than either film.

Maybe it's because Carnival of Souls went unnoticed during it's original run, and Night of the Living Dead hit it big initially? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter - seeing as they're both widely considered classics now. But Night of the Living Dead was obviously strongly influenced by Carnival of Souls for many of the traits it is so heavily praised for.

Carnival of Souls creeps the hell out of me though, which, ironically, very few films actually do. The cinematography is stunning, and obviously inspired by early German expressionist horror like Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu (I still have yet to see Vampyr). It also feels uncannily modern at times, given all the fluid camera movements.

Has anyone ever seen the atrocious 1998 remake produced by Wes Craven? What a disaster that is. Yuck!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|