View Single Post
Old 04.02.2011, 07:11 PM   #14430
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
^ Yeah, it was awful. Just a soulless, sloppily written, sack of suck that dismally botched all of the beloved elements of the franchise.

I have a lot to say about this one...

In theory, I Know Who Killed Me is my cinematic wet dream come true. Here you have notorious pop princess, Lindsay Lohan, headlining an excessively stylized, wildly colorful, gruesome, big-budget exploitation mystery reminiscent of Argento, DePalma, and hell... even Lynch's later work. It succeeds where similar efforts like the lame Jenifer's Body, and inexcusably boring Black Snake Moan failed miserably.

The film was butchered by audiences, and critics alike. Won 8 Razzies, voted Roeper's worst film of both 2007, and the 00's. But what I see here is not a disaster at all. If anything, I'd argue that it is a near masterpiece flawed only by it's over-ambition, and jumbled storyline. Which I'd also argue, are all-too-common critiques of many beloved films that lean so heavily on the experimental side of the fence.

There are times when the film's stylistic preferences do feel forced, and unwarranted, but these are overshadowed by moments of sheer beauty within this criminally misunderstood gem. The bold color scheme of symbollic blues, and reds hypnotizes when juxtaposed between erotic shots of Lohan, and the barbarically violent sequences that compose the film.

This film is something that I would kill to make, and be damn proud of too. I truly hope that this will be a future beloved oddity, adored by film dweebs studying American horror in the 00's. All in all, I loved it. It's in the same league of extraordinary as Mean Girls, as far as I'm concerned.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|