View Single Post
Old 03.27.2011, 08:23 AM   #3857
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
BTW, I left a few games off of the "3D Run N Guns". People can say what they want, but I LOVE Devil May Cry -- the first one. Now, it has some of the fucked up Resident Evil "Dynamic camera angles" that make some parts/controls awkward, but eh, it usually is perfect actually. You get to shoot shit with two guns, John Woo movie-style. You get a sword. You get to fly. You get to be a devil. Oh, and the atmosphere is INCREDIBLE, dark sound fx and drone... weird game, amazing game.. twisting levels, parts where you go upside down.. I love it. 2, however, is so easy that it's impossible not to beat it. I mean, you could be the shittiest player in the world and beat it. As for 3.... a lot of people say it's one of the hardest games ever, but I JUST W=ONDDER WHAt game they're talking about. Not saying it's easy but it's certainly not difficult -- you simply have to replay level 1 a few times to level up. I think that's why they gave you the option to replay level 1 infinite times, and why level 1 solely consists of "killing shit and getting green health orbs and red experinece orbs and NOTHING else". On the other hand, this seems icnredibly lazy on Capcom's part... level/game progression should be natural. It's like a fix-all bandaid of lazy programmers.. "Well, we know the game will be impossible after level 4 if you don't level up a shitload in level 1, so we'll make it where.. you can." I will say, checkpoints are placed in REALLY stupid locations (instead of right before AND right after a boss, it's ONLY right after a boss.. um, right). Also, the whole game is 100x flashier and 100x cockier.. there's metal riffs and all this shit.. DMC1 was rough around the edges, but it's an action classic, even a gothic action classic. DMC2, while easy as shit, had you taking down helicopters and shit and jumping from building to building and escaping from 100 floor burning buildings and doing all this insane shit. All that shit was cool. This is just kinda you in some castles again like the 1st one but it's really glossy and boring, and the metal music sucks ass. I never played DMC4.

Another honourable mention has to BAYONETTA. This was made by the RE2 and DMC1 director. He rules.

Killer7 isn't a run and gun, but it's not really a first person shooter or an adventure or... I dunno what it is. League of its own, yeah. I guess I'd call it a "Surrealist existentialist-shooting psychological adventure puzzle game" (since there is an understated but sorta interesting puzzle element). The game is so easy (as long as you COLLATERALleveluptherightcharacterSHOT) in places, it's obviously all about the story. I will say, a few of the bosses are "tricky" but never frustrating. You know how in Shadow of the Collosus, all the bosses had a clever hook? That's Killer7. "Wait for the pigeon to coo and then shoot it!" "Catch up to the insane gun while running in a gigantic circle of ambulances and shoot his BIG HAIR." While it's not a run and gun, it rules, and you do run around holding a gun a lot, so sure.

I also wnat to mention, most of the games I mentioned above were just one game. Now, that's not the whole case: GUNSTAR HEROES had a sequel 13 years later that was a disappointment (no two player mode? fuck that. Oh, and the game was like a remake -- a few of the same lavels and bosses and not much improvements -- with some new content). METAL SLUG has 7 games that are all nearly identical. Play # 3. SNK are gods but not gods of originality. CONTRA? Well... it's like this..

1. Hard Corps
2. Shattered Soldier
3. Contra
4. Contra 3
5. Neo Contra (the only "3D Contra" that comes close to being good)
6. Super C

And the rest are kinda just interchangeable and you can avoid LEGACY OF WAR outright (though I will say, C: The Contra Adventure isn';t the worst game ever or anything but.. yeah). If you have a PS2, get SHATTERED SOLDIER.. it's VERY easy to find, you can get it off of amazon for $5 or cheaper I bet and it's one of the 20 best games for the PS2 (I'd say the best PS2 games are: DRAGON

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|