View Single Post
Old 01.25.2011, 05:38 PM   #13868
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
my favourite NOES is probably the third one, i like the premise and the setting more than the other ones

the funniest is the second one i think. when freddy appears at that pool party outwith a dream it just got stupidly hilarious.

Oh yeah, part 3 is pretty much perfect! It's my favorite too! It's like they took all of the best elements of the franchise, and sorta just rolled them up into one film. The return of Nancy, creative and extremely memorable deaths + characters, Freddy's best one-liners, etc. It was the perfect way to end the NOES "trilogy".

Oh, and the praactical effects they used! I LOVE THAT SHIT. You just don't see that kind of thing in a film anymore. It's 2011, and CGI still doesn't look as good as a practical effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVUNyMcJFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Perhaps the thing for me is that I was never that big a fan of the original. I prefer it to the remake but not by much. The main difference for me was Robert Englund. He gave Freddy that extra dimension and him not being involved made it necessary for the director to find a different focal point - namely the kids. I actually liked the new emphasis on their attempts to stay awake - especially the point where they realise they'll eventually die of sleep deprivation. Given the change in social climate I suppose they had to treat the child murderer aspect with a little more sensitivity than happened in the original. I don't know if the way they treated it was particularly interesting but I can appreciate why they did it.

I suppose my main gripe with the remake, especially given its new emphasis on the kids, was how forgettable they all were. Heather Langenkamp's Nancy was great, a very 'ordinary' hero compared with Rooney Mara's more fashionably 'edgier' one.

Overall though, purely as a horror film, maybe the remake was better. Although not as enjoyable as the original, I certainly found it scarier.

Yes, the kids were all too forgettable, but so was Freddy! It almost seemed like they were embarrassed not to have Robert along for the ride, his face was near featureless! It was bizarre.

I didn't really notice any difference in the kids' determination to stay awake than any of the other films. I mean the stakes are pretty high in each film. ha Maybe you feel that way because they were taking adderal, and Red Bull. ha I dunno

I love the original NOES, and that probably is the difference between our opinions. It has nothing to do with how "classic" it is like some have said; it's just an extremely well-made film. It's so good that it almost feels like a freak occurrence.

The effects are great. There are just so many memorable SFX moments from that film, and they were all done practically! No CGI whatsoever. Freddy's extended arms, Tina's death where they built that rotating bedroom set just to pull it off, same with Johnny Depp's blood fountain death in bed, Freddy's tongue coming through the phone and saying "I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy" (which was a line they recycled in a much-less effective scene in the remake... no phone or freddy's tongue to be found), or even Freddy's claw sharkfinning through the bathtub in between Nancy's legs seemingly had more personality than in the new film.

With the practical SFX, they really had to make Freddy's powers come to life, and that I think is why the results were so powerful... because you pretty much were seeing Tina's body getting violenty thrashed around a room, and that really is her slamming up against the ceiling!

In a nutshell: Remake was weak.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|