View Single Post
Old 01.15.2011, 04:53 PM   #215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
absolutely, she's probably my favorite new electronic artist as well (autechre is my favorite, still, my favorite of all time definitely -- move of ten was pretty underrated, honestly, I think people still hadn't wraped their head around oversteps, and probably won't for a while, before they dropped move of ten which was infinitely better in every way). that new song rules. I bet I've listened to it 500 times in the past 3 days man. It's the lead single for her new label HUM AND BUZZ. I have a good feeling that her new label will kick all kinds of ass. also, what a lead single, eh? she released it like 3 days into 2011. So, I have a feeling 2011 will be a big year for her, just like 2010 was.

Also, this "doesn't know how to play music" thing has gotta be a put-on, at least to an extent. I guess I don't really know how to play music, either (and don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing myself to the melodic genius of Ikonika), but I can still come up with riffs and melodies. Anyone can. Still, very few come up melodies as infectious, addictive, and -- um, for lack of a better word -- MELODIC, as Ikonika does. I mean, she's made at least 20 songs AS Ikonika now, so I think she really is starting to understand "oh, if I put this note next to THIS note, it'll sound good." you know? She's made her own language, but it's a damn infinitely-relistenable, addictive language. She has to understand music, at least to the degree of what sounds good and what doesn't. And while some notes might technically be "wrong" (though I don't really believe in the concept of "wrong" notes), it all sounds fucking good to me. I mean, all those counterpoints! I mean, she'll have like 7 melodies going on at the same time. Have you heard her song DICK HEAD BITCH (I think she stylized it "dckhdbtch" or something like that)? That is one of her most melodically insane songs, I bet there are 15 individual melodies in it, it's like a series of disconnected melodies. A loit of her songs, to me, seem to be about the drums, how off they are, but that song is all about those sweet melodies. Her best songs have a good mix of both. Like I said, she's also great at having these little elements that one doesn't really notice -- but by the end of the song, they've taken center stage. I noticed a lot of her songs ehd with ALL elements coming together -- she will kinda subtley "hint" at some kind of melodic break or sound halfway through the song, but those parts almost always take over everything by the end.

Anyway, I'm sure she doesn't even think about this stuff very much, or want to be analyzed. I just know she flat out motherfucking rules.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|