View Single Post
Old 11.14.2010, 01:55 AM   #13144
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Old Country For Old Men,

No idea what this is, haha, but they have a movie called No Country for Old Men that is a masterpiece. a high 8/10, or a low 9/10. This is one of the most daring mainstream films of recent membory; no big name actors (Tommy Lee Jones doesn't count... weird, a guy flips a coin to make decisions, like Tommy Lee "Pepto Bismal Two Face" in Batman Nukem Forever), and hardly any soundtrack (bringing to mind classics like Kitanos Boiling Point, most of Sidney Lumet's best films like Prince of the City, Dog Day Afternoon, and Network... oh, and let's not forget I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE), though there are plenty of great atmospheric sounds. Great wind. Best wind sounds ever.

No, seriously -- topnotch film. The way it went back and forth... fuck, that movie was BRILLIANT. One of the most exciting films ever. They don't make crime films like that anymore. Felt like a gritty hardened early 90's thriller, like City of Industry or To Live and Die In L.A. (in fact, one of the things that shocked me in TLaDiL.A. was very similiar to something that shocked the hell out of me in NO COUNTRY... dont' want to spoil it though).

It's hard to describe it; it's just one fucking gripping film. From the first frame (actually, the first 5 minutes is close to Blood Simple, with the narration and the views of Texas...).

It felt kinda like a classic John Dahl film.. kill me again, red rock west, last seduction... but with that classic Coens spin. It's also their darkest film.

I'll go ahead and call it a work of genius. It's their 2nd best film next to Fargo. IMO, it's more like a Japanese film, like a Kitano film or Gonin or something (you know, there's no yakuza involvement or anything ,but...), in the way it completely flips the crime genre on its head. Also, its emphasis on atmosphere, character developement, and some shocking twists. Compelling as fuck. I remmeber seeing it in theatres and my jaw dropping about 4 times. I sat in silence as the credits rolled. It took me a while to gian my composure (felt similiar after seeing Pot's Skilled Gram.. Scott Pilgrim really) after seeing it, really.. just the way it ends.. jesus... then I finally said, "That was a FUCKING GREAT FILM. Wow." The gir lI was with laughed and said "yah it was purdy good tee hee." She was a dumb.

I hated Burn After Reading.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|