View Single Post
Old 10.30.2010, 10:33 AM   #12959
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i think also that part of the reason for the crappy cinema is that america and the uk are 2 countries were people are PROUD of their own ignorance, and they actually get aggressively pissy at film and culture that is not designed to please them as if they were moronic children. i think this has something to do with their cultural hegemony in the 20th century, and how they feel superior to the rest of the planet and don't feel the need to learn other languages or branch out into other cultures.

you see it on, well, the entire internet. it manifests itself in the constant accusations of "pretentious hipsterism" when really there isn't any going on. in a liberal culture that values enjoyment above all else, where everybodys opinion is just as valuable as everyone elses, people end up simply unchallenged. it becomes acceptable to mouth off the stupidest shit about something as there are no expected standards in discourse and the idea you might want to learn something is like, oppression, mannnn.

and even in so called journals of professional opinion, like if you look on metacritic. oh my fucking god. the reviews people actually get PAID to write.
harrowing! redemptive! moving! performance! mesmerizing! adjectives!
then they'll top that off with some dazzling witticism like
"who says X can't be X?" nooone said anything you cunt. "terrific fun, the 2 hours just fly by!" as if being chirpy about the film with happy words counts as a review or critique.

and then you have studios that actually make films by audience deed poll. "what do you want to happen next?" "lets remake the movie with a happy ending since this audience survey doesn't like it." like this isn't the fastest way to ensure giving the lowest common denominator absolute garbage. like this doesn't in the end HURT profits since noone is being challenged and so noone is having any experiences in the cinema that might make them think later on and give them something to remember. when you stop doing that, nobody goes BACK to the cinema next week after having seeing adam sandler, megan fox and jar jar binks in seth mcfarlane's DOOBIEBRO'S DEFEAT THE TERRORISTS! whatever, i cant come up with a good parody but you get the point.

one of the biggest/coolest films over in the uk is called "this is england". its one of those films that isnt just popular and widely loved, but is like regarded as highly cool and deep. i think its just utter SHIT. anybody else here seen it? its about these 80's kids who run into the bad old BNP but in the end learn a lesson about friendship and being happy and not being racist but we get to see an asian guy get the shit kicked out of him so its like, you know, DEEP. its about us all learning a lesson in multiculturalism so its ok for us to enjoy the absolutely laughably demonic portrayal of racism as some sort of brain spasm that makes you get violent for absolutely no discernable reason. its just laughable to me because ive seen people say they love it and its an absolutely brilliant film, but the message obviously didn't sink in since they still want the bnp in charge of the country.

i absolutely agree. its here as well (a very western centric mindset) like a band or film has to justify itself or making you think and not just passing two hours of your life.
and i am glad that i am not the only who didnt like this is england. it actually started out as a cool film about a kid who gets attached to these nice punks. but when the whole BNP thing started and the corny music and terrible ending i just couldnt stand it.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|