View Single Post
Old 09.27.2010, 02:52 PM   #263
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I'm excited. I love Deerhunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
love Deerhunter.

Heh. Well, anyway, I share the love for Deer Hunter -- the movie, at least. The movie is so fucking good! The band is usually quite boring. I downloaded the new album like I said I would, though, and listened. Like, um, I dunno. I just don't understand the appeal, I guess, every song sounds the same, doesn't it? Okay, glossy swirling guitar stuff, simple one note bass stuff, over and over, hooks that don't really do anything particularly interesting. None of it catches my ear in any meaningful way. Having said that, some of the production is interesting. Like the farty clangy guitar noises over the drums in Helicopter before the silly twee part, haha. Some of the guitar in Primitive 3D is pretty, and it goes into a weird ambient part, kinda like how a lot of my songs do -- I liked that! It's just not a very compelling record, the constant guitar and vocal effects and weird production is easy to appreciate, but the actual songwriting is horrid. I mean, Helicopter is barely even a song. I will say, DESIRE LINES is actually an okay little track, just way too long of course.. it actually kinda sounds like Sonic Youth at times (Diamond Sea ish). I like the drums -- which are awkward in a good way. The vocals, however, are awkward in a bad way, and dominate too much of the track. There's a nice guitar break at about 3:20 in where the guitarist just plays a scale over and over and over again, haha. That part's cool. All in all, it doesn't do much, just kinda boring indie rock, I guess the same could be said for the whole album, but if you're into that stuff it's not as offensively bad as Microcastle and such. Some songs, like "Coronado" are just bad, though. That saxophone is HORRID.

Honestly, this album sounds like music that'd be played in a party scene in Gilmore Girls or something.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|