View Single Post
Old 09.25.2010, 03:07 AM   #12545
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
You've got to be kidding me. I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more in my life.

I don't know why this is so hard to believe. This is a film that is loved by very few, and the people who hate it usually won't even afford it the respect of pointing out anything good about it whatsoever. I racked my brain, trying to think of something I liked about the film, since I like to think the no film is completely worthless and... I guess that's the only scene I a) didn't hate and b) actually thought was worth watching again. I've seen the film twice in 6 years -- well, 1 1/2 times, actually, I didn't get to finish it the first time since I was at a party and everyone agreed the movie was horrible and shut it off. That alone might be reason enough to reccomend it for some people, but whatever, I burned it and watched it again about 9 months ago from beginning to end and, uh, yeah... let's just say thank god for the cool soundtrack and THAT ONE SCENE!!!!!!!!! -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fawnn9rCIk -- I mean, yeah, at 3 minutes, even that scene's way too long, but what's there is funny!! The rest of the movie, I looked on, usually with a blank stare, no feeling whatsoever to what was happening. See, this is the kind of movie where you enjoy Korine's humor or you don't, and I just, uh, don't. Seeing a little kid getting bathed for, oh, 8 minutes while eating with some food sticking on the wall, or seeing dumb fuckhead imbred kids shoot at cats, or seeing a bunch of fuckheads huffing glue and staring into space for 5 minutes, might be "cool scenes" to some people, might be "iconic, award-winning scenes", but I thought they were boring as hell, usually stretched to the point of being annoying. I just do not find a bunch of idiotic kids doing stupid shit "entertaining", everyone was unlikeable, and it is just so dull as to be ridiculous. I get what it's going for, I get Korine'se "humor", and it's easy for people to appreciate it as an "Anti-film" -- no plot, no characters or story points you care about, nothing keeping the action moving forward -- except there's about a thousand of those that actually work (for a really good example, see Brown Bunny from Korine's enemy and girlfrend-stealer Vincent Gallo, a film that betrayed every principle of filmmaking -- while still remaining haunting, compelling, and engaging). A movie either moves me or it doesn't, and I can respect it all day for existing -- for Korine actually putting time and money into something like this -- but the movie is just not something I particularly enjoy sitting through. My advice, people should just watch the movies that inspired Gummo -- Out of the Blue by Dennis Hopper, obviously, being its biggest influence, as well as the documentary STREETWISE. Those are films with substance, that will stick with you long after viewing is over. Enjoy!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|