View Single Post
Old 09.10.2010, 02:13 AM   #12331
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Care to develop that part? I've always been under the impression that Twin Peaks mainly was Lynch's baby, that it was born out of his ideas and that Mark Frost mostly helped structuring things up and turning it into a working television series (which is no small feat, obviously, but I don't consider that to be the genius behind the show). All the best episodes are directed by Lynch. Frost was obviously a big part of the project, but for me it's mostly Lynch's touch that makes me love it.

Mark Frost created the show, most of the ideas, the characters and the storylines. Lynch directed like 4 of the episodes, got funding because of his name being attached, and collaborated with the "feel" of the show. I'd say both were indispensable in getting the show to be what it is, but Mark Frost was the reason the show exists; Lynch was busy making his films. Anyway, if you look over the years, most of the in interviews/articles with any real, concrete information about the show was directed at Mark Frost. And the problem with Frost being the main dude is that he also gets the blame for season 2's downfall, and he hasn't really done anything since of note (a shame, since he did the excellent Storyville). Of course, the reason a lot of season 2 sucks ass has to do with studio interference... why the fuck would their network want to reveal the killer? That's the reason most people watched the show!

Now, on the other hand, Fire Walk With Me -- which is surely Lynch's best film next to Straight Story -- is more Lynch's baby... well... it's a bit more complicated than that, of course... but basically, Lynch shot, oh, 6 hours of footage for FWWM and what we're left with -- after all the various talented individuals who messed with it, like Mary Sweeney -- is kind of something more in the "director" vision of what Lynch usually aspires to do. All I was saying in my rant is that Lynch is no genius, he just works closely with talented people, and there's no better evidence to this fact than Inland Empire + recent short's messy, incoherent, ugly, loose, shakey structure (since Lynch hasn't worked with anyone except himself for most of that stuff ). But the same could be said for tons of directors; there aren't many true auteurs out there.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|