View Single Post
Old 09.09.2010, 09:29 PM   #53
ModCop
empty page

ModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's assesModCop kicks all y'all's asses
You bought the "it was just a plot twist" explanation? Yet throughout the film, in the parts someone else claims there is "nothing happening", there is a barrage of evidence that points towards the "insane" and "sane" theories. That you would actually buy the plot twist as the only possible explanation for what happened shows that you were not paying much attention.

My personal take was that it was the island itself conspiring to make him insane, and that he was acting towards the end. The ambiguity of it was what made it so masterful. This is what I appreciate in a film, a genuine push towards abstraction and into fantastically speculative territories.

Methinks some people cannot take a film that does not offer the simplistic plot resolution of the average cop show, or perhaps are too wired into that kind of faced paced style that they can't appreciate a slow and layered film that wants you to never be too sure of what is happening. The fun of a film like Shutter Island isn't simply going from A to B - he gets to the island, turns out he's mad, the end. The point is the experience of watching it, trying to piece together what's happening from the clues, those strange moments were you really don't know what's happening and all sorts of possibilities come into play. As for the remark on tension, if anything I think the film could have been even longer and slower.
ModCop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|