View Single Post
Old 08.31.2010, 01:24 PM   #87
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
Yesterday Worcester had it's fourth homicide of the year when a 21 year old female was shot to death in her parked car. The perp just walked up to her open window and put a bullet in her head. She was a college student on her way to a Nursing degree....Just think for one second if Knox and the rest of us had our way she'd probably be alive today, finished off her degree and possibly saved someone's life down the road as a nurse.

In cases like this, it's easy to say that if the trigger wasn't there to be pulled, then the victim would still be alive, but that doen't absolve the person whose finger pulled it of any blame. The question is why would someone feel driven to take another person's life without cause.

But still...sad as it is, even without a gun her killer would've found a way to murder her, because her time was up. If we can learn anything from history, it's that if you're meant to die at a particular moment, you will, no matter how tragic it may be for those left behind. Conversely, you can survive the most horrific accident if your time isn't up. Of course, this doesn't mean we should unnecessarily place ourselves in harm's way or not try and save lives...

I'm not saying it doesn't upset me to learn about things like this, but I don't think anyone can argue in favor of banning guns without sounding like a naive idealist. I'm not really sure how further regulation on the industry itself can help either...limiting the amount of ammo a gun can hold? That would put soldiers and law enforcement officers in danger because they'd have to waste more time reloading. If you made a civilian and a military/police grade version of the same weapon, criminals would just find a way to get their hands on the 20 bullet capacity military/police grade models, leaving honest citizens with the 5 bullet capacity civilian grade models vulernable. Strict limits on how many guns can be manufactured? Massive layoffs to cover the lost revenue and more unemployment. Sorry, but the answer to gun violence isn't gun restrictions, because those without the "burdens" of honesty and respect for the law will always find a way around them; we saw this when hollowpoint armor-piercing rounds found their way onto the street after cops started wearing bulletproof vests. No, you stop a gunfight the same way you stop a fistfight-diffusing the situation before it happens.