View Single Post
Old 08.24.2010, 04:25 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Derek, there's no reason to get upset about it; a lot of people just flat out write off good music because they don't like their fans, and they heard one random song on some skateboarding game and now associate the entire band with that one song and their annoying fanbase. That's not just this forum, it's the entire internet; it's people, in general. I just don't personally understand why people unfamiliar with a band bother replying negatively to an appreciation thread. I am critical of certain bands -- boring ass Deer Hunter, wankfest Mars Volta, and whatever -- but I actually listen to their albums, often multiple times, before I make an informed opinion about their work. And in cases where I simply can't get through an album (see In Rainbows, which I've made it through, but I found it nearly impossible to sit through it in one sitting -- it's their shortest work and fels like their longest), I make a point to mention that to. I don't honestly believe most of the people writing off BR have actually sat down and listened -- really listened -- to any of their work, but that's okay. If they don't want their lives enhanced by melodically complex and brilliant music, that's their loss. Either way, you can tell which people haven't really even bothered listening to their work, because it's the ones who can't even form an opinion beyond "they suck." I think it's a lot more interesting to break down why a band sucks. For example, In Rainbows -- the most overrated album to ever exist -- sucks because the vocals are shockingly bad (and there's a lot of them; I am starting to think the only reason Kid A and Amnesiac are so great is becuase Thom didn't sing too much, and when he did his voice was usually buried or effected), there isn't any creativity (songs that aren't even as good as the worst songs on Hail to the Thief, some tired boring electronics with some boring midtempo Pablo Honey-esque rockers; what the fuck?!), and ... well, jsut the lyrics.. it's Thom Yorke's sexy album... he's trying to be romantic.. it's almost like a Radiohead parody... anyway... that's a lot more interesting, and can open up further avenues of discussion, than just saying "OH THEY SUCK"
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|