View Single Post
Old 08.12.2010, 03:45 AM   #214
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
In Utero [...] experimental

Care to explain this one to me? I'm not trying to argue with you, but what was "experimental" in In Utero? There are two Teen Spirit rewrites, a dumb noisey punk song (Tourette's), an awesome noisey punk song (Very Ape), a midtempo cruddy grunge rocker that goes absolutely nowhere (Heat-Shaped Box), and a Melvins ripoff (Milk It). The rest of the thing is pretty much Nirvana-by-numbers, except for Dumb and All Apologies, I guess, even though they're fairly straightforward. I know Kurt used non-standard tuning at times, I'm no Nirvana afficianado but is this the first time he did that (besides "Something in the Way")?

It's not a bad album, though.. Dave's "Scentless Apprentice" rules (despite Kurt saying it sounded like a boring grunge rocker, the structure is amazing, and the drumbeat; the two-guitar live version of this song is amazing); Milk It -- while being a re-write of Melvins' "It's Shoved" -- has those neat double guitar cleaned detuned tinkerings that almost remind me of something Fugazi would do... Radio Friendly Unit Shifter has some sickass noise... I think "Marigold" is their most experimental song and it's not even on the album...

Just curious.. where do you see them as going after this album, if they'd continued? Just lots of acoustic songs?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|