View Single Post
Old 07.20.2010, 12:51 AM   #11461
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
160,000,000 ? How does it all add up ? What the hell costs so much ?

Wasn't Keanu paid $10,000,000 just for doing the Matrix? And those films SUCKED ASS. I mean, this has always blown me away. Tom Cruise also gets like $20m per picture, doesn't he?

Anyway... it was shot on multiple expensive ass cameras over the course of many months (a year?), Leonardo DiCaprio probably commanded ten million, Ellen Page was probably a few million, there's explosions and cities toppling over and lots of other imaginative things, promotion, music, etc. I dunno. He soon realized that a film like Inception needed a large budget because "as soon as you’re talking about dreams, the potential of the human mind is infinite. And so the scale of the film has to feel infinite. It has to feel like you could go absolutely anywhere by the end of the film. And it has to work on a massive scale"

I'd imagine stuff like the train plowing through a city, and the crumbling world that the characters made up was the biggest cost sucker. In Freddy Got Fingered (this came out in 2000, right? Okay, this is another great mainstream film, 10/10), a shot of a car that was dropped from a helicopter into a power plant (which isn't even in the movie, just the deleted scenes) cost a million dollars! You gotta get permits and all kinds of shit for EVERYTHING.. explosives experts... stunt men.. the crew probably had a thousand people!... all kinds of extras for the crowd scenes...

That hotel was sets they built... so was the chamber in the snow fortress.. I mean, all that stuff.. wow.

I say that a good million of the budget was to afford cocaine for DiCaprio too. And a hooker every night.

I do like this, though:

For the dream sequences in Inception, Nolan kept the computer generated effects to a minimum and utilized practical methods whenever possible. Nolan said, "It's always very important to me to do as much as possible in-camera, and then, if necessary, computer graphics are very useful to build on or enhance what you have achieved physically.

Some reviewers complained the film didn't go "Far enough", I was expecting all sorts of insane dream logic shit to happen, but I'm glad he kept it subtle. Just an amazing film. Also, why do you guys want them to expand on any of the other characters? They're just his team members, that's all you need to know. On the other hand, I'm willing to bet there's a good hour of deleted scenes.

......It's still a pretty insane amount, especially when you consider Jodorowsky made THe Holy Mountain for $750,000 (El Topo was made for, what, $250,000?) and that film looks better than just about any film Hollywood has ever made. But eh.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|