View Single Post
Old 07.14.2010, 02:04 AM   #16
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Ikonika uses Fruity. She's not a shitty techno producer. If I think about it, I'm sure I can name 50 others who use Fruity effectively and intelligently. Obviously, if you use it poorly, it's going to sound just like everything else programmed on it... Really, using only one program for your entire musical output in general may not be a good idea, but at the same time, there's an infinite number of ways to manipulate sound, so who knows? Ultimately, unimaginative people make unimiganitive music; I wouldn't blame Fruity for "shitty techno producers"; I'd blame shitty techno producers for producing shitty techno.
Ikonika does not use Fruity anymore, actually. She uses Logic now. Ramadanman uses Fruity Loops, and while he's great and has got great reviews everywhere, it still sounds Fruity Loops-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Because Fruity is just a tool, just like anything else. If you use it the same way as everyone else -- just sequencing parts together -- then, yes, it will sound like everyone else. That's why I reccomend using Adobe Audition or something else, if you have actual music talent. Use Fruity Loops as a drum programmer or something, then overdub real keys, real bass, etc. Put some human elements into it, don't just sequence parts together.

Me, personally, I've used everything -- literally everything -- in search of interesting sounds. But for my stuff personally, in the past 10 years, I've consistently used Hammerhead, for simple as hell drum programming and Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit Pro) to overdub parts in. I also LOVE ReBirth (also see Rubber Ducky which is exactly the same), which does a lot of acid stuff. I tend to use extremely simple, aged tools (I like Sound Recorder too! And Goldwave!) in my recordings, but I manipulate them in ways where people who comment on it ask me what the fuck I did. But that's me -- I like simple, easy, cheap things. For my movies, I use MSPaint and VirtualDub. I'm just attracted to simple programs. I can still do anything I want with that stuff though, there's just no fancy button to press to do it for you. I would rather manipulate microseconds of sound than use a "glitch" program or something, for example. But ... that's me.

...So, really, I'd say the best way to make music is to use your imagination. Just experiment. I wouldn't reccomend any one program. I wouldn't use any programs, as more than just a means to an end.

THe best thing about Fruity is all the vst's. The fact that I can literally PLAY a moog on my computer, right now, and it sounds JUST LIKE A MOOG -- I mean, there's no difference whatsoever -- that can't be underestimated. Any program that doesn't let you use VST's seems a bit silly to me.
Indeed, Fruity Loops is a tool and its VSTs are great - I loved that SimSynth thingy -, they are easy to get into, to understand etc. The problem comes from its effects, which sounds too cheap and dated if you really want to do something that sounds a bit better. It's good if you want to use it as a simple drum machine or something, but once you want to actually write something entirely with it, you're quickly limited. Well, not that quickly, but eventually you're more limited than with other softwares. Sure, you could add some more VSTs, but why not just using another software... Also, it's a bitch if you want to do some transitions - and I played a live set using Fruity Loops, so I thought a bit about this beforehand -; you gotta use two occurences of Fruity, etc. While Ableton Live for instance allows you to do perfect transitions, has great effects, uses VSTs, and is not that hard to use.

I stand by my words: if you want to write something exclusively with your software, not just use if for the drums or adding some elements in the background of a song, Fruity Loops is good to begin with, but you'll end up feeling limited. It's not a surprise why so few "professional" artists use it - while a lot, like Ikonika - and numerous other dubstep producers - began writing tracks on it.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|