Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who likes to play guitar infront of a mirror? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=942)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.14.2006 09:16 PM

Who likes to play guitar infront of a mirror?

I do. I find it helps me right better songs. It doesn't help my narcissism though.

Savage Clone 04.14.2006 09:22 PM

It has never occurred to me.
Degenerate.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.14.2006 09:49 PM

I did it once to see what it looks like when I play guitar. Doesn't work though because I normally pay more attention to what Im doing with the guitar.

schizophrenicroom 04.14.2006 09:58 PM

i play air guitar in front of the mirror.. does that count?

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 10:04 PM

Hey, I've always played air guitar. & WILL ALWAYS play air guitar.
It's one of my favorite things to do.

-EDIT-
But I have been playing the air bass alot more recently.
Pretending I'm Roger Waters.

schizophrenicroom 04.14.2006 10:22 PM

I like the air drums. I rock the fuck out of my air snares.

Everyneurotic 04.14.2006 10:29 PM

yes, i have played guitar in front of the mirror, i like checking out my cool rockstar moves. got a problem with that?

i'm guilty of virtually doing air orchestra. i've even done air scratching. sometimes i look like that journey video

terminal pharmacy 04.14.2006 10:40 PM

vain guitar players like to play in front of the mirror, but i guess that way you won't be a self conscious performer

schizophrenicroom 04.14.2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

i'm guilty of virtually doing air orchestra. i've even done air scratching. sometimes i look like that journey video

i do this! sometimes i'll practice conducting in the mirror and just wave my arms everywhere pretending i'm conducting some giant symphony. i get bored a lot.

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
I like the air drums. I rock the fuck out of my air snares.

It's been a while since I rocked out my air drum set. I believe they are DW's.

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 11:06 PM

I have rocked the air drums from time to time....although never in front of the mirror. I don't think I have enough self-esteem to witness myself doing something that embarassing.

Though I used to conduct in the mirror a whole lot...When I was high school I was conscipted into conducting, and I was paranoid that I'd look like a total idiot.

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 11:10 PM

Well, we've all rocked an air instrument someway or another.

I think it's absolutely necessary.

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 11:15 PM

Indeed marely pumpkin, indeed.

I've rocked tons of air instruments in my day...and will continue to. I caught myself playing air vibraphone a few days ago, though I can't remember what it was that I was listening to. (Obviously there was a vibraphone in it)

finding nobody 04.14.2006 11:17 PM

air tuba anyone?

sonicpollution 04.14.2006 11:18 PM

hehehehe

No.

fullchromelogic 04.14.2006 11:18 PM

tis kickass

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 11:19 PM

I have delved in the experimental air instrumental playing.
Nothing to fancy, just been fucking around w/ air turntables.
Of course, I would never do that w/ my real turntable.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.14.2006 11:27 PM

Ahhh. I miss commanding two turn tables. I'd do really crazy crap on the radio at night. I'd put John Cale on one, Tschaikovsky on the other, then put an SYR in the CD player 3, branca in 2, and something random from the experimental section from 1. I'd let the CDs play and play the tschaikovsky at different speeds and backwards.

Some hick got really pissed because I played Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd backwards on my show once.

finding nobody 04.14.2006 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Ahhh. I miss commanding two turn tables. I'd do really crazy crap on the radio at night. I'd put John Cale on one, Tschaikovsky on the other, then put an SYR in the CD player 3, branca in 2, and something random from the experimental section from 1. I'd let the CDs play and play the tschaikovsky at different speeds and backwards.

Some hick got really pissed because I played Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd backwards on my show once.

hahaha. that sounds kick ass! do you have any recordings of that?

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 11:35 PM

Yeah, That would be an interesting listen. I used to do stuff like that w/ NIN, & Cheech & Chong audio clips from their movies.
I did have some recordings of it, but I have since lost it.