Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any of you stuck musically in a particular decade? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8574)

porkmarras 12.01.2006 03:40 AM

Any of you stuck musically in a particular decade?

Norma J 12.01.2006 03:40 AM

No. I am not.

luxinterior 12.01.2006 04:14 AM

I don't have any special feelings toward either era, as far as I'm aware.

sonicl 12.01.2006 04:19 AM

Yeah, I'll confess that, until relatively recently, I was guilty of 80s/90s-ophilia, but I have now discovered that there are new and exciting things happening that I somehow hadn't noticed. And it's all down to you guys. Thank you. I love you all.

Tokolosh 12.01.2006 04:21 AM

Same here.

heavium 12.01.2006 04:51 AM

it's more about the sound of bands in general than the era of when they actuallly wrote their music, good music (or what i find to be good music )is timeless, still there's something special about music recorded in the late 50's-60's, from surf to rock and eventho there's bands who can afford that vintage gear and recording gear it still won't sound like something that was actually recorded back then, there's a lot of stuff from the eighties that i, even if i like the songs or bands themselves, don't like because of the production/mixing, especially when it comes to drum sounds

sun city girl 12.01.2006 04:52 AM

i love the 80's but there's great music made in all decades, and mostly i listen to the current stuff.

sonicl 12.01.2006 05:03 AM

It's understandable if a person has remained loyal to an era that corresponds with when they first discovered the joys of music. Finding a whole new world is a pretty powerful experience, and it's bound to always have an emotional resonance. What sometimes alarms me is when people get stuck in an era that doesn't correspond with their musical epiphany but actually predates it. Music should be about progression, not regression. I'm not criticising people for being, say, an 18 year old who likes late 60s psychedelia if that is just a part of their musical canvas, but if that is their entire canvas, well, I just feel a bit sad for them for their lack of exploration of other areas.

king_buzzo 12.01.2006 05:09 AM

nah

Norma J 12.01.2006 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
It's understandable if a person has remained loyal to an era that corresponds with when they first discovered the joys of music. Finding a whole new world is a pretty powerful experience, and it's bound to always have an emotional resonance. What sometimes alarms me is when people get stuck in an era that doesn't correspond with their musical epiphany but actually predates it. Music should be about progression, not regression. I'm not criticising people for being, say, an 18 year old who likes late 60s psychedelia if that is just a part of their musical canvas, but if that is their entire canvas, well, I just feel a bit sad for them for their lack of exploration of other areas.

I agree. I feel this applies to image also. Some people consider and claim themselves to be 'punk' or 'emo' or 'hardcore' or 'rockabilly' or 'indie' and I find that degrading. To have a band that may be one of them is a different thing, as just because your band sounds a certain way, doesn't mean you don't venture down other avenues outside of your band. But to call yourself something, a genre, is very limiting as a human being, I think.

sonicl 12.01.2006 05:38 AM

I find it rather creepy when you get people in their twenties walking around in Teddy Boy clobber, but it's rather endearing when you see people in their fifties and sixties who do the same and who clearly still live a Teddy Boy lifestyle and still go to the "hop".

alteredcourse 12.01.2006 06:21 AM

all that is why i wonder how so many young people spend so much time worrying about "where they fit in" . i understand the curiosity and nature to find/create personal identity, individually, in society, of the world, though things get easier when you just realize that you cant possibly ever just fit in as one thing or that . we're all everything , and the more open you are to everything the richer things become . at the same time , in regards to what sonicl said earlier, it is still great when people naturally get immersed in specific fields , as much richness can be obtained when you dig deep . its useless to choose where you dig beforehand though , somehow blindly hoping you'll be at the bottom of the hole .

sonicl 12.01.2006 06:37 AM

^ There's nothing I can add to this, anything I said would just be a pointless re-wording. But I will say: "Repped".

sonic sphere 12.01.2006 06:52 AM

i seem to be stuck in the 70's at the moment for some reason

sonicl 12.01.2006 06:58 AM

You're in Manchester and you're stuck in the 70s? For God sake, man, give yourself a good shake!

alteredcourse 12.01.2006 07:12 AM

ill add, "what really matters is what you like, not what you are like. books, records, films these things matter. call me shallow, its the fucking truth." , rob gordon, high fidelity

stenson 12.01.2006 09:31 AM

80's funk!!!

Rob Instigator 12.01.2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I find it rather creepy when you get people in their twenties walking around in Teddy Boy clobber, but it's rather endearing when you see people in their fifties and sixties who do the same and who clearly still live a Teddy Boy lifestyle and still go to the "hop".

this is Greek to me. explain?

Rob Instigator 12.01.2006 10:20 AM

I see that a lot in people porkmarrass. sometimes life comes along and takes up all your curiosity or your desire to seek out new music and you reach a cut off point. many of my friends in their early thirties are in that position. they have not heard "anything good" since 1994, you know? and it is because they have too many other things to do, what with carrers, children, wives, husbands, etc. That in itself is not a bad thing, what is bad thing is when people assume just because they have "not heard anything good lately" that that means that noone is MAKING anything good lately. I say BULLSHIT to that!

I love the noisy rock with the melodic tendencies and after polvo and unwopund broke up I was distraught but I learned to wait out the sufjan stevens and the neutral milk hotels and wait and wait and the kids did not let me down, for now there is parts & labor, and animal collective and all these bands that are kicking out the new skronk, taking skronk to new heights!

sonicl 12.01.2006 10:24 AM

This man is a Teddy Boy, and he is at the Hop:

And this is Showaddywaddy, a famous Teddy Boy revivalist band from the late 1970s.