Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bad religion appreciation thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8422)

atsonicpark 11.26.2006 09:19 AM

bad religion appreciation thread

no control
suffer
generator
against the grain

four of the best punk albums ever. this band is amazing. peace.

Jico 11.26.2006 10:50 AM

curb your enthusiasm, they are not that great.

atsonicpark 11.26.2006 10:53 AM

Haha.. what? Thought provoking lyrics, amazing harmonies and melodies, fast as fuck and well written punk songs. Despite the occassional shitty guitar solo, their shit always slays.. on those albums.

porkmarras 11.26.2006 11:00 AM

Yeah,i love them muslims.

atari 2600 11.26.2006 11:03 AM

I cannot stand this band.

Once when I was living in this large house with my girlfriend (we had a separate entrance, thank goodness), the adjoining room was occupied by the bass player in this band and he would always play Bad Religion. At least the drummer was cool. He liked Sonic Youth, but his favorite band was The Fall and he turned me on to them.

Norma J 11.26.2006 06:41 PM

They get old really quick. They say the same thing over and over, musically and lyrically.

stenson 11.26.2006 07:22 PM

never heard em.

TheDom 11.26.2006 07:30 PM

I used to know a priest who liked Bad Religion (no joke). Irony at its best.

They're ok in small doses, but listening to them for over 10 minutes gets old really fast

Pookie 11.26.2006 07:45 PM

There were a few bands around at the time that, as a punk, I just didn't get.
In particular Descendents and Bad Brains. Not that they're bad, but, well...I just didn't "get" them.

Pookie 11.26.2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMMAh
I agree with what you're saying about Descendents, I've never heard Bad Brains though.

I don't know where that came from, I meant to say Bad Religion. But it does go for Bad Brains as well. There were much better hardcore bands in my opinion.

nature scene 11.26.2006 08:50 PM

I like them for a while, but quickly got tired of their pretentious, pseudo-intellectualism.

dietzer123 11.27.2006 12:40 AM

being a fan of all that dumb punk shit such as nofx *gasp* i still find bad religion to be pretty lame.

Norma J 11.27.2006 03:12 AM

NOFX are one band I've never liked. Irritate(d) me to the max, infact.

nature scene 11.27.2006 11:47 AM

I enjoy nofx but not bad religion. It's hard to enjoy bands that take themselves too seriously.

Savage Clone 11.27.2006 12:14 PM

For a band who like to flaunt their big vocabularies, their lyrics still sound like they were written by a 14 year old to me and their songs are uninteresting. I didn't like them way back and I like them even less now. Oh, did I mention the awful guitar tones?
Yeesh. I never understood how a bunch of intelligent academics with 42 years of schooling could come up with such unimaginative and caricaturish music.

porkmarras 11.27.2006 12:16 PM

Might as well throw Green Day and Offspring into the bin too .Hated them then and i hate them now.

Trasher02 11.27.2006 03:05 PM

Dear god I absolutely hat bad religion, totally unlistenable. (spelling? whatevah)

lucyrulesok 11.27.2006 03:47 PM

yah, i never got into bad religion.
i remember when i was about 13 or 14 at school, and i changed classes, and i got all excited 'cause there were some kids in that class that didn't listen to whatever shit they played on capital fm, and i thought 'finally i can talk to someone about music'.....

and they all liked bad religion and other rubbish punk. i was disappointed.

CHOUT 11.27.2006 10:57 PM

OK, so not alot of Bad Religion fans here (I was a fan until Recipe For Hate, which was pretty awful). Listened to Generator a while back and I enjoyed it.

But Bad Religion fans and non-fans alike should really check out Into The Unknown!

It is their album erased from existence - they are ashamed of it, and usually won't even talk about it. It is their 1983 hardrock keyboard driven epic album and it's really funny. A total anomaly - pretty interesting in how far off they veered from their usual formula.

I was gonna actually post a thread about it and copy my bootleg of it so you guys could check it out (the other side is a Descendents live show...still dig them (pre-reunion mostly) and have for years).

here's an article about it:
First off this album is the punkest thing you'll ever hear in your lifetime... But really, I know you were just pleading for someone to review it weren't you? Since there's been much hype around the new Bad Religion album, I've decided there should be a review of the "outcast" album: "Into the Unknown"
As a matter of fact, some Bad Religion fans don't even know this album exists, it's out of print, rarely mentioned by the band, and hasn't been played live (ever?) maybe because some of the members of Bad Religion would like if the album never did exist.
Synthesizers, Acoustics, and keyboards oh my. Back in 1983 this album was a sin to the punk community. I don't know if releasing it was a joke or what, but it caused almost all of BR's fan base to leave in an instant, even members of the band left after this album.
Sure BR redeemed themselves with Back to the Known ('84) a amazing punk album, but to this day, Into the Unknown leaves an rather sour memory. As a punk album, this album is complete and utter crap, but it's not a punk album, so it's unfair to say that.
When I listen to it, I actually think early-mid 70's arena-rock. To tell you the truth, damn good 70's arena rock. Boston, Kansas, Yes, Peter Frampton all come to mind whenever I hear this album.
"Time and Disregard" a 7 minute keyboard, 70's powerchord, radio friendly chorus infested song, makes me want to pop on some Frampton comes alive. "Billy Gnosis" makes me think of the late 60's somewhat of a Buffalo Springfield or Crosby Stills Nash and Young vibe. If this album came out in 1973, I'm telling you Bad Religion would be as big as Led Zeppelin. "You give up" has a creepy piano hook running through it, into blazing riffs and more synthesizer action, I think I love this album.
Again if Bad Religion was a 70's arena-rock band like Boston, I'd give this album a 10, but this is a punk board so I'll judge it by that. And so I end my review... Who says Bad Religion always sounds repetitive?

loubarret 08.24.2010 04:33 AM

Generator, suffer and again the grain are great albums. A bit monotone yeah, but it doesn't really irritate. But yeah, fun band but not something amazing. Their later albums are way preachier and flatter