Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Limited Edtion Lp's And New Dvd's At The Sy.com Store (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8168)

Moshe 11.17.2006 02:35 PM

Limited Edtion Lp's And New Dvd's At The Sy.com Store

LIMITED EDTION LP'S AND NEW DVD'S AT THE SY.COM STORE
One night during Sonic Youth's 2004 Australian Tour, Thurston, Steve, Lee, and Jim headed to the Saucerlike Records warehouse in Melbourne. In front of a small audience they cut 4 sides of improvised music direct to disk at the last LP pressing plant in the country. Now available at the store are copies of the resulting double 12" with cover images by Kim, in a limited edition of 800 copies. Also newly available at the store are several DVD's: the Olivier Assayas film Demonlover featuring soundtrack by Sonic Youth, the Free Tibet concert film with live SY footage, and Lee's 'Drift' collaboration with Leah Singer. Plus ever-changing T=shirts designs, CD's and Vinyl of 'Rather Ripped', and the 'Helen Lundeburg'/'Eyeliner' 7" and more.

sonicl 11.17.2006 03:27 PM

RUN TO THE STORE NOW, PEOPLE! THE LIMITED EDITION 2 X LP IS WORTH EVERY PENNY, EVEN INCLUDING POSTAGE!

tesla69 11.17.2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
RUN TO THE STORE NOW, PEOPLE! THE LIMITED EDITION 2 X LP IS WORTH EVERY PENNY, EVEN INCLUDING POSTAGE!

It really is, assuming you like the free side of SY...my copy is somewhat of a noisy pressing...but great music...those of you who wanna hear Goo shouldn't bother....

sonicl 11.17.2006 04:36 PM

I had assumed that the pressing quality was a result of the way in which the LP was recorded.

But yes, I agree with you say about the indie rock fans keeping well away.

tesla69 11.17.2006 04:42 PM

[quote=sonicl]I had assumed that the pressing quality was a result of the way in which the LP was recorded. quote]

Wouldn't "direct to disk" (the disk in question is a computer hard drive isn't?) be really quiet?

I just think its the pressing cuz that Thurston solo LP and several Matt Valentine LPs I got about the same time sound flawless. Its not my stylus at any rate!

scott v 11.17.2006 05:11 PM

just ordered my copy now, i figured i waited long enough, enough to maybe miss out... since 800 copies can seem like a flash in the pan, and the likelyhood of me paying eBay prices for this LP down the road are pretty damn low since i cannot spend loads of money on music like i had a few years ago.

bad pressings are not that uncommon, speaking of which that Thurston solo LP that i have sounds abit noisey... so its sorta a matter of luck. btw, MV & EE rock, and are sweet folks!

pokkeherrie 11.17.2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
I had assumed that the pressing quality was a result of the way in which the LP was recorded. quote]

Wouldn't "direct to disk" (the disk in question is a computer hard drive isn't?) be really quiet?

it's an acetate disk. there's some more info on the recording process here:
http://www.saucerlikerecordings.com/...gearticle.html

anyway, i'm happy i bought a copy.

greenlight 11.18.2006 12:26 PM

melbourne direct - could have been one of the best syr series.

PAULYBEE2656 11.18.2006 12:56 PM

melbourne direct is amazing.....
thats my 2 cents

val-holla-ing 11.18.2006 11:52 PM

oooh! i just ordered melbourne direct!

is it the same LP that was mentioned in the news section almost 2 years ago?

greenlight 11.19.2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
oooh! i just ordered melbourne direct!

is it the same LP that was mentioned in the news section almost 2 years ago?

yep.

golden child 11.19.2006 04:26 PM

depends on the mastering of the audio too, and if its direct to disk... there is none.