Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   smoking ban: blatantly disregarded (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5743)

Daycare Nation 09.04.2006 05:21 PM

smoking ban: blatantly disregarded

There is this cafe near my house that is technically within the city limits of a city which has an in-door smoking ban...but it is very close to a city which doesn't.

They allow smoking inside, and even sell cigarettes and provide ash trays. I asked them about it once and they said that if I wanted them to call the smoking police, they would.

It kind of bothers me because I have asthma...but I used to smoke.

Thoughts?

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.04.2006 05:26 PM

burn them a copy of rathaer ripe

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 05:31 PM

A smoking ban has been passed in my city too.

When it goes into effect I won't be able to drink in bars anymore. I just won't be able to do it. I can't! I won't!!!

Pookie 09.04.2006 05:33 PM

Smoking's just a bad habit. I don't know why smokers have been indulged for so long.

They're just a bunch of whiners.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 05:34 PM

Its an awful habit, I know.

But if I want to have a cigarette while getting smashed, then by god I should be able to!!!!!!!!

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.04.2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Its an awful habit, I know.

But if I want to have a cigarette while getting smashed, then by god I should be able to!!!!!!!!

you can always go to a bar with a patio?

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 05:41 PM

Maybe.

We don't have bars with patios. And what happens when its snowy, or rainy.

Pookie 09.04.2006 05:42 PM

I think we should stop trying to find solutions for smokers. I'll say it again, it's just a bad habit.

Unfortunately it's a bad habit that kills not just you, but other people who have no choice but to breathe in your toxic smoke.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 05:45 PM

Yes, I understand that too.

But what gets me is the people who give these laws fuel are people who in more cases than not are people who would never be in an enviroment with smokers to begin with.

Like the people who go out to the 'smoking area' at work on their break, not to smoke, to just sit there and bitch about the smell of the smoke.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 09.04.2006 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Unfortunately it's a bad habit that kills not just you, but other people who have no choice but to breathe in your toxic smoke.

yeah seriously!
fuck all you smokin assholes

DemonBox 09.04.2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I think we should stop trying to find solutions for smokers. I'll say it again, it's just a bad habit.

I totally respect the smoking ban, because our bad habits should not damage other people that dont smoke. But I hate it when people are giving me a hard time for smoking. It's my choice, right?

DemonBox 09.04.2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
yeah seriously!
fuck all you smokin assholes

dont judge people like that. I dont call you a asshole for being a non-smoker.

Pookie 09.04.2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Yes, I understand that too.

But what gets me is the people who give these laws fuel are people who in more cases than not are people who would never be in an enviroment with smokers to begin with.

Like the people who go out to the 'smoking area' at work on their break, not to smoke, to just sit there and bitch about the smell of the smoke.

I don't know about that because I never go to any smoking areas. I think that most laws relating to smoking in the workplace are either for insurance reasons or to protect workers in public places.

I think that people should be free to smoke but non-smokers should have the freedom to enjoy being smoke-free.

Reminds me of Steve Martin. In a restaurant a man asks him, 'Do you mind if I smoke?', and he replies, 'no, do you mind if I fart?'

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 05:57 PM

Maybe if they banned smoking all together this would be much easier.

Pookie 09.04.2006 05:59 PM

Or everybody came to their collective senses & stopped paying tobacco companies to kill them.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 06:01 PM

That too.

Daycare Nation 09.04.2006 06:01 PM

They are putting more and more nicotine in cigarettes lately.

Пятхъдесят Шест 09.04.2006 06:04 PM

I read that somewhere, even in 'light' cigrarettes.

HAHA, I'm not disputing that they aren't assholes. Damn it, they've got me hooked.

k-krack 09.04.2006 06:44 PM

the thing that makes me most sick is that people still smoke, fully knowing the disgusting, highly toxic things in them. you could roll yr own, and it would (not sure, but presumably) be cheaper? and also wouldn't be full of ammonia and tar, etc. (light cigarettes are DIPPED in ammonia?!?!?!?!)

nature scene 09.04.2006 06:59 PM

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I'm thinking about starting just to spite all you morons that want to control other people.