Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Mirror Traffic (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=51374)

Pink Noise 05.27.2011 12:27 AM

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Mirror Traffic
 
 




Hey its May 2011-- and we have some updates. Yeah, the new album is called "Mirror Traffic". There was a lot of deliberation on the album title front but in the end we went the cryptic route--for some reason "Madonna in Love" didnt swing it with the test market. FOr a long stretch when it was gonna be called "L.A. Guns", but with lawsuits flying left and right these days, I was talked off the ledge by cooler minds. This is bad form to talked about what might have been, Negative Hypnosis, but in the age of tell-all I thought I'd join in.
We recorded it with Beck over the last year. It took a while to finish due to "Life"--the actual "rock hours" were pretty reasonable........in fact 68% of the tracking, vocals included, took place on one day, a first for me. We pretty much left it all out there, so look for 50 minutes of tunage, 13 songs, and LOTS of good times.
Also, Janet Weiss is not with us anymore--over the last year she started Wild Flag .....its a growing concern--We couldn't hit the daily double. We wish her well in her future shredding. ...
THe silver lining --- Jake Morris of the Joggers and newly hatched Night Moves has assumed the throne, and it's a pretty swank fit. Look for us in all the usual places in September.
THats all for now. Thanks y'all

steve

Jeremy 05.27.2011 12:41 AM

It's going to be a great record; All of the new live songs he did last year before all the Pavement reunion stuff were great, and Real Emotional Trash was really underrated as well. I'm expecting really strong things from Mirror Traffic (Which is a cool name for a record, I think).

Sucks about Janet leaving them though.

~Jeremy~

the ikara cult 05.27.2011 12:56 AM

Face The Truth is one of the great underrated albums of the last 10 years, but i feel like he's got a bit complacent since then, and now he's reformed Pavement which nobody wanted to see... I hope he makes a solo album that fits the bill and doesnt rely on pavement reuinions

stu666 05.27.2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
and now he's reformed Pavement which nobody wanted to see...


i did,

anyway i look forward to the new album.

Jeremy 05.27.2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
and now he's reformed Pavement which nobody wanted to see...


I guess all those sold out shows were flukes and people were confused about the band they were seeing?

He reformed Pavement because Bob needed the money. Ever since he's been in music, Malkmus has always gone forward. He never coaxed on the success of Cut Your Hair, and all throughout Pavement's touring and his solo tours he always was playing new material.

Even after the Pavement tour ended, he said it was time for everybody to look forward, because Pavement was now officially done.

~Jeremy~

the ikara cult 05.27.2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I guess all those sold out shows were flukes and people were confused about the band they were seeing?

He reformed Pavement because Bob needed the money. Ever since he's been in music, Malkmus has always gone forward. He never coaxed on the success of Cut Your Hair, and all throughout Pavement's touring and his solo tours he always was playing new material.

Even after the Pavement tour ended, he said it was time for everybody to look forward, because Pavement was now officially done.

~Jeremy~


that description is exactly why noone needed to see the pavement gigs

Jeremy 05.27.2011 03:18 AM

I still don't see your point? Fans wanted the reunion for years and got a massive tour with great sets with a number of sold out shows and headlining festival slots. That alone destroys your "Nobody wanted to see a Pavement reunion".

The only people who complained about it were the people annoyed they didn't play Serpentine Pad or something like that.

~Jeremy~

hevusa 05.27.2011 03:20 AM

I love everything Stephen touches

the ikara cult 05.27.2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I still don't see your point? Fans wanted the reunion for years and got a massive tour with great sets with a number of sold out shows and headlining festival slots. That alone destroys your "Nobody wanted to see a Pavement reunion".

The only people who complained about it were the people annoyed they didn't play Serpentine Pad or something like that.

~Jeremy~


I meant it was just so uninspiring, i love pavement but their reunion doesnt inspire me to announce a party

pad_023 05.27.2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I meant it was just so uninspiring, i love pavement but their reunion doesnt inspire me to announce a party


It depends if you got to see them the first though doesn't it.

I didn't but I got to see them 3 times and for me it was great.

pad_023 06.08.2011 09:35 AM

New track - Senator

http://pitchfork.com/news/42761-new-...jicks-senator/

stu666 06.08.2011 11:23 AM

thanks!

stu666 07.13.2011 04:43 PM

another new track http://www.matadorrecords.com/matabl...-jicks-tigers/

and a live session on BBC 6 Music tomorrow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012hcxz

stu666 07.14.2011 12:13 PM

7 days to listen again http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j5nhc

Stephen Malkmus joins Lauren to play a live session - the tracks, from his new album, are Long Hard Book and No One Is (As I Are Be).

stu666 07.25.2011 09:41 AM

Malkmus was on Xfm's Xposure with John Kennedy July 22nd. he plays acoustic versions of another 2 new songs, Asking Price and All Over Gently. you can listen again here (starts about 1hour 10 mins in).

or here's my rip:
Part 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ELR122SX

Part 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UWNXDCHG

pad_023 07.25.2011 11:09 AM

Nice, looking forward to Malk's record now.

pad_023 08.15.2011 10:03 AM

Album now streaming

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...mirror-traffic

dazedcola 08.15.2011 12:27 PM

I'm listening to it now and really enjoying it. he always throws the crazy left punches in his songs and this album isn't disappointing in that vein. I was always more of a pavement fan over a malkmus solo career, but this one is grabbing me.

fluxequalsrad 08.15.2011 05:44 PM

somebody post rip, none of this streaming BS!!

lo-fi suicide 08.15.2011 07:36 PM

It's 96kbps :/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth