Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ATP/Don't Look Back is just taking the piss now (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41132)

radarmaker 08.31.2010 11:01 AM

ATP/Don't Look Back is just taking the piss now

The Flaming Lips to perform The Soft Bulletin in London supported by Dinosaur Jr performing Bug supported by Deerhoof performing Milk Man

At this rate you may never need to listen to new music again. Just wait for ATP to repackage it 10-20 years down the road on a nostalgia tour for Mojo readers who missed the boat first time around instead.

Fuck right the fucking fuck off.

nicfit 08.31.2010 11:22 AM

Shall I be honest?
I got to the point to hate all this stuff.
I enjoyed SY's Daydream Nation tour as a one-off celebration of something that basically we didn't get the chance to experience at the "right" time here in Italy (see '88 and '89 tourdates).
Now it's getting ridiculous (imo)..

Derek 08.31.2010 11:45 AM

Is Milk Man even a classic album?

noisereductions 08.31.2010 11:46 AM

where are they taking the piss to? And what will they do with it when it gets there?

Rob Instigator 08.31.2010 11:56 AM

what does "taking piss" mean?

what's wrong with ATP doing this? There are so many stupid festivals and daylong concerts. They have to do something to stand out from the crowd.
everyone of these festivals has the same damn roll call of bands anyways.

stu666 08.31.2010 11:57 AM

i don't mind these but what does bother me is that you pay for something almost a year away. couldn't they announce them closer to the time? i might go....

stu666 08.31.2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what does "taking piss" mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...aking+the+piss

i guess it's a british thing

Toilet & Bowels 08.31.2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
i don't mind these but what does bother me is that you pay for something almost a year away. couldn't they announce them closer to the time? i might go....

yeah, but if there's enough demand for the tickets, it gives them plenty of time to sell out the 2nd and maybe third dates that haven't been announced yet.

nicfit 08.31.2010 12:00 PM

40£

stu666 08.31.2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
40£

is that how much it will be? if so, maybe i wont go.

Toilet & Bowels 08.31.2010 12:06 PM

i don't have enough interest in any of these bands to go in the first place, but even if i was a fan i would have doubts because they all tour all the time anyway and milkman and soft bulletin aren't even old records, and if you went to see dino play a regular show you'd probably get to see at least a few songs from bug anyway, and £40 for one show a bit of a joke.

not that that will make a difference, I'm sure this will sell out pretty quick.

nicfit 08.31.2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
is that how much it will be? if so, maybe i wont go.

I think so, even if sales are not "open" yet there's the "buy tickets" button and the page with the ticket sellers' links says "Ticket Price: £40".

stu666 08.31.2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, but if there's enough demand for the tickets, it gives them plenty of time to sell out the 2nd and maybe third dates that haven't been announced yet.

but they do the same with the festivals, last year i paid for two 4 berth rooms before even going to one of them, it leaves me skint for the rest of the year. :mad:

Genteel Death 08.31.2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
40£

Like punk never happened.
They wouldn't put these things on if they didn't know for sure that there are enough stupid people who'd pay to go.

deflinus 08.31.2010 12:33 PM

meh overpriced festivals. i'd rather listen to the actual albums at home

TheFoxBen 08.31.2010 01:51 PM

I would love to hear the whole Milk Man album live, but that's all...

noisereductions 08.31.2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deflinus
meh overpriced festivals. i'd rather listen to the actual albums at home

samesies

SuperCreep 08.31.2010 01:57 PM

solution: don't go. all three bands play a hell of a lot more shows where they don't do these albums in their entirety.

personally, i really like this idea. yeah, the element of surprise is gone, but if the album is great to begin with, who cares?

Glice 08.31.2010 02:11 PM

I don't think it really bears comment. I think the sort of people who want to go to these shows should really question whether they actually enjoy live music. Ok, if the band re-invent the record live, fair enough, but if they're just re-creating it for the benefit of my eyes... well, it's just not what live music's about, surely?

SuperCreep 08.31.2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I don't think it really bears comment. I think the sort of people who want to go to these shows should really question whether they actually enjoy live music. Ok, if the band re-invent the record live, fair enough, but if they're just re-creating it for the benefit of my eyes... well, it's just not what live music's about, surely?

you can say that about a show with any regular ol' setlist too.

sometimes re-creation works very well anyway. i don't think i would have enjoyed the ramones live (if i were old enough to have the opportunity) if they had a twenty minute jazz-improv in the middle of teenage lobotomy or whatever. the police did something similar on their last tour and a lot of people hated it.