Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So I just got MUSE tix for my sister (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39544)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2010 12:24 PM

So I just got MUSE tix for my sister
 
She was out on a cruise of all places and needed me to get em for her from Ticketmaster online, which has failed me several times before but ironically worked out better for radiohead 2008 because me and my i-dren mounted up at the Bowl box office (which was a disaster for several reasons already postd) and she got the tix here at home online.

so I owed her, and I am glad I comped em for her, she will be ecstatic.

now I have to knuckle up for my Jimmy Cliff/Reggae Night and Sonic Youth, both at the Bowl..

 


"The Hollywood Bowl, part of your life.."

Glice 04.24.2010 12:36 PM

Are you going? They're well worth seeing live, despite their records not being that much cop.

Edit: Having said that, it was about 10 years ago that I last saw them. In a 500-odd capacity place and at a festival after they 'broke'.

EVOLghost 04.24.2010 12:41 PM

Muse were cool. Though I really think they sound 3094835405803948r times better live. I seen 'em once...unfortunately it was at Lollapalooza after Black Holes album.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Are you going? They're well worth seeing live, despite their records not being that much cop.

Edit: Having said that, it was about 10 years ago that I last saw them. In a 500-odd capacity place and at a festival after they 'broke'.


no, I don't care much for Muse, there is a thin line between singing and whining, and while it is a matter of taste, Muse vocals do not agree with mine. But my sister, shit, she loves this shit beyond explanation. I was just excited to get em for her, I hate chasing mainstream tix so I felt blessed to get em so easily.

Bytor Peltor 04.24.2010 07:44 PM

Saw them six months ago and it was a good show. My high school aged daughter absolutely loved it!
Speaking of something MUSE, I will be seeing Faith In The Muse in a couple of weeks.

logicalharm 04.24.2010 07:46 PM

I actually really like them...and am finally seeing them for the first time in November! I think as long as you admit to yourself that they ARE sometimes cheesy and always ridiculous, there's no shame.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.24.2010 08:01 PM

MY plug-in baaaaaabaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeadDiscoDildo 04.24.2010 09:03 PM

Origin of Symmetry is the shit. They even rip off scentless apprentice on that record.

The one after that was pretty good.

The one they blew up with and got on guitar hero and shit is fucking whack.

Im sick of this space aged futuristic sounding bull shit people relate to "the future" or whatever.

The stars have always been around, to me space is the most beautiful organic thing...I dont wanna hear a million phase pedals and blah blah blah I probably just offended a TON of you. whatever.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.24.2010 09:09 PM

There was this local, horrendous Muse rip-off band around here once. They obliterated the singing/whining barrier. It was pretty funny. Cool bassist though.

GeneticKiss 04.24.2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
The stars have always been around, to me space is the most beautiful organic thing...I dont wanna hear a million phase pedals and blah blah blah I probably just offended a TON of you. whatever.


Um...what are you trying to say here? It's a totally different vibe trying to evoke looking up at the night sky standing down here on Earth, but evoking actually being in space...it helps to have a couple effects pedals.

Anyway, on topic---I only have one Muse album (Absolution) and it's not bad, but I can't say I'm all that much of a fan. I've seen footage of them live, though, and they put on a fairly good show. I see them as a somewhat more obvious version of Radiohead; more obvious meaning that they're more likely to use sounds palatable to mainstream ears like big guitar riffs and dance beats, something Radiohead would steer away from for something more interesting ..

mrb 04.25.2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Um...what are you trying to say here? It's a totally different vibe trying to evoke looking up at the night sky standing down here on Earth, but evoking actually being in space...it helps to have a couple effects pedals.

Anyway, on topic---I only have one Muse album (Absolution) and it's not bad, but I can't say I'm all that much of a fan. I've seen footage of them live, though, and they put on a fairly good show. I see them as a somewhat more obvious version of Radiohead; more obvious meaning that they're more likely to use sounds palatable to mainstream ears like big guitar riffs and dance beats, something Radiohead would steer away from for something more interesting ..



belive it or not back in the day they were slammed as a radiohead rip off by the english press.

EVOLghost 04.25.2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Origin of Symmetry is the shit. They even rip off scentless apprentice on that record.




agreed. Micro Cuts is amazing. The version from Hullabaloo is much better than the studio version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXokqiSKi9I

logicalharm 04.25.2010 11:15 AM

I don't hear much of the Radiohead thing at all, tbh. Maybe some on their first album...but if you listen to their pre-debut stuff it's clearly Nirvana that they were trying to emulate instead (obviously that has been killed since).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth