Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   asp's classic albums # 72: plastikman - closer (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35695)

atsonicpark 11.07.2009 08:43 PM

asp's classic albums # 72: plastikman - closer

PLASTIKMAN "CLOSER"

This is a pretty new album (2003), I think the newest one I've covered on here but I recently rediscovered it and it's just fucking brilliant. Super-dark minimal techno, with occasional low-pitched vocals. This stuff is really brilliant, usually there's only a kick drum, a bass fart, an atmospheric sound, and a synth playing one note or something, hence the tag "minimal techno". But within these constant repetitions, you will discover strange and unexpected twists, a vocal rising from the abyss, an unexpected stereophonic'd clap. It sounds pretty boring but it's actually some of the most engaging music I've ever heard. MUST BE LISTENED TO ON HEADPHONES OR FULL BLAST, preferably in the dark. A meditative mindfuck.

Here's a link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MMVYQK8D

Glice 11.07.2009 11:13 PM

Richie FUCKING Hawtin! Not his best album, but I'm not convinced he should be making albums really. Plus 8 was the label for a time. If I care when I'm sober, I'll upload the mix he did for Peel that genuinely defines 'last night a DJ saved my life' for me. Richie FUCKING Hawtin (shit haircut or not).

chairman of the bored 11.07.2009 11:35 PM

sounds right up my alley

atsonicpark 11.24.2009 01:58 PM

been listening to this a lot lately and FUCK!

Genteel Death 11.24.2009 02:00 PM

He's done a lot of better stuff than this for sure.

atsonicpark 11.24.2009 02:29 PM

See Ghost lampin in the throne with King Tut hat

Tokolosh 11.24.2009 05:56 PM

Nice to see that some people like him here.
He has made some really good stuff over the years.
Plastique is great driving music.
Space out on a long endless highway.

atsonicpark 08.03.2010 03:52 PM

I still think Closer is his best album. It's dark as hell, weird as hell, beautifully minimal and.. just creepy and insane.

But I really like a lot of his other projects.. his concept series is great. That's some of the most minimal electronic music I've ever heard.. some songs he's done consist of just a weird one note bass fart and a snare/hi hat barely playing and that's about it. But he makes it work.

Watched an hour long documentary on him last night.. it's over on btjunkie, just type it ritchie hawtin.. also, there's a "dj set" torrent you might like glice, I think it's like 600mb of his dj sets...

Count Mecha 08.03.2010 05:06 PM

To be honest, the album of his I'm familiar with is Musik, and that's a stellar album. Always meant to look more into him, guess this is my incentive. Plastikman is slick.

atsonicpark 08.04.2010 06:56 PM

atsonicpark 08.06.2010 06:07 AM

Listening to Closer on repeat all night. You have to hear this album on a really good system, it'll damn near blow out your subwoofer. The entire album sounds like a creepy stalker calling you at 3 AM.

I read recently that Plastikman is back, Hawtin is playing his first shows as Plastikman in like 6 years.. so look for a new album soon.

GeneticKiss 08.06.2010 11:01 AM

Anyone else think "Dre" sounds A LOT like some of the background music from Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Rob Instigator 08.06.2010 11:13 AM

Not my thing, but moody and effectively atmospheric.

sounds like good background music

I HATE background music

atsonicpark 08.16.2010 11:10 PM

Oh shit, new "Greatest hits" album..

I mean, he only has like 4 albums as Plastikman, so why not get em all? Still.. I heard he's playing live again.. so this is exciting..

e_s_d 08.18.2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Richie FUCKING Hawtin! Not his best album, but I'm not convinced he should be making albums really. Plus 8 was the label for a time. If I care when I'm sober, I'll upload the mix he did for Peel that genuinely defines 'last night a DJ saved my life' for me. Richie FUCKING Hawtin (shit haircut or not).

Any chance of seeing that upload?