Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   your musically inclined relatives (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3422)

LittlePuppetBoy 06.25.2006 07:15 PM

your musically inclined relatives

have any members of your family who play instruments (or used to)?

well my mother plays flute
my dad used to play trumpet
my little bro plays guitar
and I am slowly learning bass and keyboards (mostly to screw around with the different effects)

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 06.25.2006 07:17 PM

dad
grandfather
grandmother
all played guitar, they still do sort of.

acousticrock87 06.25.2006 07:19 PM

My mom played guitar and this Peruvian flute thing. My dad apparently took guitar and drum lessons for a little, but I don't think he was ever into it. My brother plays bass off and on.

I play drums, some guitar, and a little bit of the recorder of course.

Alex's Trip 06.25.2006 07:20 PM

My uncle played guitar
My dad played drums in the school band

LittlePuppetBoy 06.25.2006 07:29 PM

oh yeah, my uncle plays guitar, and my other uncle plays clarinet

CHOUT 06.25.2006 07:36 PM

My uncle has played guitar since a teenager. He and his wife had a band, and two of their three kids are amazing guitarists. My uncle's basement looks like a vintage guitar store.
My dad was a taxidermist for a while...

SonikJesus 06.25.2006 07:39 PM

My sis plays the sax. She was the section leader in high school.

TheDom 06.25.2006 07:54 PM

My dad played the accordian..

My uncle is like a music genius. Plays mostly piano but can do some violin, guitar and other shit. He knows his shit too.

Phlegmscope 06.25.2006 08:01 PM

My mom played piano at younger age and I think so did my grandmother. Otherwise there's no musical activity in my family.

I try to pick up my acoustic daily and just dabble with basic chords, but I doubt I'll ever learn to actually play it.

krastian 06.25.2006 08:17 PM

My dad and my uncle play(ed) the drums. I didn't even know they played them when I started......must be in my blood or something.
My grandpa played the harmonica and the accordion.

Pablitzen 06.25.2006 08:22 PM

my big brother plays guitar...but he is a big fan of trash metal
mi little bro plays flute...
mi mom plays guitar, but some kinda "hippie songs" (60`s and 70`s songs)

i don`t know if we should make a band, like the "partridge family" or something jajajaja

atsonicpark 06.25.2006 08:29 PM

. It's a new style of music coming out of weird abandoned art galleries in Boston, called Skronk music which is like insane punk, simplistic sort of gamma metal.

HaydenAsche 06.25.2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
. It's a new style of music coming out of weird abandoned art galleries in Boston, called Skronk music which is like insane punk, simplistic sort of gamma metal.

Cancer Filth.

EMMAh 06.25.2006 09:46 PM

My uncle plays sax, flute, piano and a little guitar
Mom played clarinet
Aunt played violin
Grandma plays a little piano
Other aunt played flute

youthoftomorrow 06.25.2006 11:06 PM

i have some sort of great uncle on my mother's side who was a guitarist in vaudeville. i don't really know much about him.

my dad's mother was apparently very good at the violin, but i never really knew her (fuckin' Alzheimer's).

two of my mother's brothers were once aspiring opera singers, but never made it. one of them now writes for the soap opera "Passions" and the other is trying to break into acting.

my dad and older brother both played clarinet in high school (my bro was better than my dad).

my little bro plays the string bass in his school band.

kingcoffee 06.26.2006 02:11 AM

None of my family members are very talented. In any way shape or form. I have a super intelligent uncle who has an IQ of like 200 or something. But aside from that, I think I am the most creative person in my family. I play guitar (fairly well but nothing to really impress anyone who really knows what they're doing) and I used to draw fairly well (once again, nothing that will really impress truly gifted artists). So........yeah. Kinda got the crappy end of the gene pool.

luxinterior 06.26.2006 02:17 AM

My uncle can play a mean banjo. But he balances it out by playing a nice piano.

king_buzzo 06.26.2006 02:21 AM

uncle. bass for as long as i can remember, has band with a few released records (like 6 or 7)

umjammer atomsk 06.26.2006 02:31 AM

My uncle plays guitar, piano, drums, spoons and a whole bunch of other crap.

Trasher02 06.26.2006 04:29 AM

My dad in songwirter guitarist and singer, he's quite famous in our country.. :s
and one of my brothers used to play guitar
and another one sings,
but he's a fag.