Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Battle of the Bands: Sonic Youth vs. NOFX (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33872)

amerikangod 08.24.2009 02:36 PM

Battle of the Bands: Sonic Youth vs. NOFX
 
Sophie's Choice, I know.

But I'm giving you bros various routes to your answers. You can either vote for your most beloved band straight-up, or point to your vote by selecting a defining element from either band that you feel makes them superior.

Since there are ultimately five categories for each band, the one with the most voted on associated categories will win. The results will be forwarded to Chris Habib. If the Youth wins, this board will remain unchanged. If NOFX wins, please be prepared for some serious changes around here, tailoring to what we all truly want, even if we don't know it yet.

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 02:40 PM

...are you kidding?

seriously?

how could I possibly vote for a band which writes songs with lyrics such as these:
kill rock stars
"Kill the rock stars" how ironic, Kathleen
You've been crowned the newest queen
Kinda like the punk rock Gloria Steinemm
You can't change the world by blaming men
Can't change the world by hating men

Just cause I don't know the reason you're so pissed
Don't dare tag me misogynist
I thought the goal here was mutual respect
Not constructing a separate sect
I wish I could have seen Courtney
Demonstrate some real misogyny
Can't change the world by hating men



Sonic Youth doesn't consist of idiots. And even if the members of SY lost half of their intellectual capacity, they'd at least be smart enough to cryptically disguise it.

noisereductions 08.24.2009 03:00 PM

yeh NOFX is sort of good for a fun silly half hour. But WTF, man?

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 03:07 PM

<-- can i ask where the idea of comparing SY with NOFX came from?

they are two extremely different bands.

have you, my friend, been spending time in hot topic?

Satan 08.24.2009 03:08 PM

 

amerikangod 08.24.2009 03:14 PM

The idea came after a lot of hard thinking. I went out into the woods for a few days so I could clear my mind. My goal was to distill all music until all that was left was the 'best of,' its greatest flagship band. And I just couldn't decide between Sonic Youth and NOFX. Truly a clash of the titans. I spoke to Chris Habib about it and learned he was of the same opinion. So we set this up. The winner determines the future of the board.

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
I just couldn't decide between Sonic Youth and NOFX. Truly a clash of the titans.


really?

really?

i have nothing else to say. i think that this speaks for itself.

noisereductions 08.24.2009 03:24 PM

I can't help but think "TROLL"

amerikangod 08.24.2009 03:25 PM

As indebted as I am to both bands, I truly think NOFX will pull ahead in this one. I can't wait until e.sandin starts posting here.

pinkstation 08.24.2009 03:40 PM

wait who are you?
"kim's bodacious ta tas"

what the fuck is the mater with you dude. she is a fucking badass musician, artist, and woman.

maybe if you got your head out of your ass and stopped listening to NOFX you would realize this.

also i assume that the NOFX lyrics refer to kathleen hanna. anyone who opposes bikini kill can go to hell.

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkstation
wait who are you?
"kim's bodacious ta tas"

what the fuck is the mater with you dude. she is a fucking badass musician, artist, and woman.

maybe if you got your head out of your ass and stopped listening to NOFX you would realize this.

also i assume that the NOFX lyrics refer to kathleen hanna. anyone who opposes bikini kill can go to hell.


You totally rule. But be prepared to get a lot of shit by members of this board who don't enjoy riot grrrl "femi-nazi" lecturing. I already have.

infinitemusic 08.24.2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
...are you kidding?

seriously?

how could I possibly vote for a band which writes songs with lyrics such as these:
kill rock stars
"Kill the rock stars" how ironic, Kathleen
You've been crowned the newest queen
Kinda like the punk rock Gloria Steinemm
You can't change the world by blaming men
Can't change the world by hating men

Just cause I don't know the reason you're so pissed
Don't dare tag me misogynist
I thought the goal here was mutual respect
Not constructing a separate sect
I wish I could have seen Courtney
Demonstrate some real misogyny
Can't change the world by hating men



Sonic Youth doesn't consist of idiots. And even if the members of SY lost half of their intellectual capacity, they'd at least be smart enough to cryptically disguise it.


Not only are these lyrics stoopid, but they're fucking SHITTY. They have no flow and they suck dick. NOFX is a fucking horrible band.

pinkstation 08.24.2009 03:48 PM

all i have to say is kim is the coolest one of them all.

there would be no sonic youth without her. she keeps them together and sane.

also the dances during drunken butterfly are really crazy and cool

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemusic
Not only are these lyrics stoopid, but they're fucking SHITTY. They have no flow and they suck dick. NOFX is a fucking horrible band.


I completely agree. I don't just hate them because I disagree politically. They don't know how to write songs.

Then again, I admittedly have not listened to very much of them...I don't hate myself enough to put myself through that type of torture.

amerikangod 08.24.2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkstation
also the dances during drunken butterfly are really crazy and cool


Especially because they make her boobies flop around in a manner that is pleasing to men.

Did any of you guys notice that sometimes she holds a bass in front of her breasts?

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 05:01 PM

I'm guessing that this is some sort of attempt at a lame joke.

notyourfiend 08.24.2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkstation
also the dances during drunken butterfly are really crazy and cool


i very much enjoy her "jump rope dance"

however, it really seriously saddens me to know that a part of why she's doing it is because it hurts her to play due to tendonitis....:(

SYRFox 08.24.2009 05:14 PM

glorious thread!!

Derek 08.24.2009 05:48 PM

This thread rules.

SuperCreep 08.24.2009 05:55 PM

n/a puddle of mudd


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content 2006 Sonic Youth