Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New songs: Antenae and What We Know live (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30706)

greenlight 04.27.2009 12:54 PM

New songs: Antenae and What We Know live

so before tomorrow we will be able to stream new album here are 2 new songs Antenae and What We Know played live. just to have an idea. hope I can upload it here.

Antenae
http://rapidshare.com/files/226412670/Antenae.mp3.html
this one is from the gig in Krems/Austria

What We Know
http://rapidshare.com/files/22642877...5-t11.mp3.html
this one is from the gig in Luxembourg

summer 04.27.2009 01:12 PM

I like how Antenna is poppy when he's singing, but when he isn't, the guitars almost remind me of Confusion is Sex/Sister. Will probably me much better in the studio though obviously.

greenlight 04.27.2009 02:01 PM

What We Know rocks big time!! even though I'm pretty sure I've heard such a melody in refrain somewhere else like in this song, but it rocks!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.27.2009 02:30 PM

Both are awesome. I love how Lee (I'm just guessing) plays that delay at the beginning of Antennae. It reminds me a bit of the end of Cross the Breeze

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.27.2009 02:31 PM

Anywhere to get those full shows?

greenlight 04.27.2009 02:38 PM

yeah, it is him playing it. to me it reminded me one song from WM, probably it was washing machine song itself. he did exactly same thing.

you can get both shows at www.dimeadozen.org, if you don't have a account on there, I'd say sooner or later it will on www.utkonos.org. I should be upping up mp3 version of Krems gig her on the board tomorrow or day after. tommorow

Bertrand 04.27.2009 02:46 PM

Thanks a lot!

SYRFox 04.27.2009 03:58 PM

This sounds really promising. The Eternal looks like a fun album, can't wait to hear it

NWRA 04.27.2009 04:14 PM

Antenae sounds very promising on the basis of its length, structure and mood - something of a throwback to the 'autumnal'-songs-with-content-vocals from the A Thousand Leaves, NYC:GAF, Murray Street period (by the way, do those albums have a collective name? I'm sure it's been said that three of them were part of a loose trilogy though I'm not sure if those were the three, substitute one of them for Washing Machine / Sonic Nurse maybe? Anyway its my favourite period of their music); also it has a nice chorus, catchy in a good way.

SYRFox 04.27.2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
Antenae sounds very promising on the basis of its length, structure and mood - something of a throwback to the 'autumnal'-songs-with-content-vocals from the A Thousand Leaves, NYC:GAF, Murray Street period (by the way, do those albums have a collective name? I'm sure it's been said that three of them were part of a loose trilogy though I'm not sure if those were the three, substitute one of them for Washing Machine / Sonic Nurse maybe? Anyway its my favourite period of their music); also it has a nice chorus, catchy in a good way.

I don't think NYC Ghosts & Flowers sounds very autumnal, so that might be the one you should substitute ; but I can definitely see the autumn thing in both ATL and Murray Street, yes. Especially in songs like Hoarfrost

EvdWee 04.27.2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

sonic nurse indeed. NYC trilogy of something?

Toxa 04.27.2009 04:54 PM

"Antenna" is awesome. I already can bet that it will be my favourite from the new record.
"What We Know"... I don't know what THEY know, but it could easily be the worst Lee song ever recorded. it sounds amazingly weak to me.

mysonichaircut 04.27.2009 06:06 PM

this sounds really good to me - classical rock somehow - but i really like both songs, "antenna" and "what we know". I was so disappointed, when i heard sacred trickster and the samples, but now i cant wait to get this :-)

_slavo_ 04.28.2009 03:45 AM

Antenna sounds very good, for what I've heard.
Hope this album will be better than RR.

summer 04.28.2009 04:08 AM

Again with the RR hate, did any of you listen to it more than once or twice >.>

_slavo_ 04.28.2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
Again with the RR hate, did any of you listen to it more than once or twice >.>

one and a half time, to be precise.

andrei 04.28.2009 04:49 AM

Antenna sound pretty good, a little bit popy but in a good way, not in a Rather Ripped way. I don't know what to say about What We Know... i'll wait for the studio version...

Count Mecha 04.28.2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Mos def. There was a definite ATL, Murray Street vibe going on in Antenae, not so much NYC G+F though. The beginning reminded me a bit of the ending to Karen Revisited. The song has a really nice shape about it. It's a good marriage of the pop and I guess non-pop capabilities that Sonic Youth have always been pretty good at. I liked that song alot.

As for What We Know. I wasn't sure what to think at first like some others here. But I'm liking it more upon subsequent listens. I have a feeling the studio run of this song will be more impressive than this. But I'm more into it now than I was before.

If these songs are any indicator along with the release of Sacred Trickster, the Eternal has the potential to elevate Sonic Youth out of the rut they've been in from Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped. Not to diss on those albums, but like others have said, Murray Street was the last really great one.

[Sandbag] 04.28.2009 09:24 AM

sounds good!

greedrex 04.28.2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
out of the rut they've been in from Sonic Nurse