Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what do you listen to while sleeping or just really mellowing out (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3051)

EyeballGrowth 06.16.2006 03:57 AM

what do you listen to while sleeping or just really mellowing out

I've been staying up late the last few nights to do some serious book reading, and I haven't been getting to bed until around 5 when the birds are just starting to sing. Last night it started raining heavily where I live, I listened to Future Sound of London ISDN, and the entire Lifeforms album while simultaneously listening to the rain and morning birds, while I was relaxing off to sleep. That was a great thing.

porkmarras 06.16.2006 03:58 AM

I've been brought up listening to Neil Young's 'After the gold rush' at bedtime.There isn't another record that puts me to sleep like that one.It's a musical teddy bear.

fishmonkey 06.16.2006 04:03 AM

PAULYBEE2656 06.16.2006 04:04 AM

explosions in the sky

Pookie 06.16.2006 04:29 AM

Yoshimi & Yuka - Flower With No Color

A collaboration between super-ace drummer/trumpeteer Yoshimi (of Boredoms and OOIOO), and NY/Jap ex-Cibo Matto performer Yuka Honda. Most of this was recorded on a field trip up Mount Fuji, and then taken back to the studio for processing. The end result is a mix of birdsong, distant trumpets, glockenspiel style percussion, and the odd wobbly vocal. Sometimes ambient, sometimes jazz-cool, sometimes ethnic Japanese and sometimes just plain oddball, this all combines to make a very mellow and organic sounding CD

Style 06.16.2006 04:46 AM

I can fall asleep to anything.

Drum n Bass, Hardcore Techno, Metal, etc.

_slavo_ 06.16.2006 05:43 AM

Low is fine when slubering

Trasher02 06.16.2006 05:47 AM

I like this album for little naps.

sonicl 06.16.2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Neil Young's 'After the gold rush'.... It's a musical teddy bear.

Please, will you stop saying stuff that I totally agree with. As far as I know I have no long-lost twin, and if you persist in pretending that you are one I shall have no alternative but to leave the board. So there! :)

porkmarras 06.16.2006 05:47 AM

Will your wife approve though?

sonicl 06.16.2006 05:49 AM

Oh yeah, the question...

"Post Rock" generally: Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Pelican, 65 Days of Static...

And the odd bit of "Chill Out": The Orb, Global Communication...

sonicl 06.16.2006 05:50 AM

Quote:

Will your wife approve though?

I have a wife as well as a long lost twin?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

porkmarras 06.16.2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I have a wife as well as a long lost twin?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I thought you were married.

RdTv 06.16.2006 06:27 AM

Hmmm...good thread let me see here: Mono, Nick Drake, Smog, Joa Gilberto, Liars, Yellow 6.....some more maybe

val-holla-ing 06.16.2006 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Yoshimi & Yuka - Flower With No Color

A collaboration between super-ace drummer/trumpeteer Yoshimi (of Boredoms and OOIOO), and NY/Jap ex-Cibo Matto performer Yuka Honda. Most of this was recorded on a field trip up Mount Fuji, and then taken back to the studio for processing. The end result is a mix of birdsong, distant trumpets, glockenspiel style percussion, and the odd wobbly vocal. Sometimes ambient, sometimes jazz-cool, sometimes ethnic Japanese and sometimes just plain oddball, this all combines to make a very mellow and organic sounding CD

that's such a great album! "mow deck in eye" is a great track.

val-holla-ing 06.16.2006 06:44 AM

i've been sleeping to growing and boris (lowercase boris, that is) when i'm just trying to calm my mind.

PunkerViolence 06.16.2006 06:49 AM

Quote:

I've been brought up listening to Neil Young's 'After the gold rush' at bedtime.There isn't another record that puts me to sleep like that one.It's a musical teddy bear.

Thats very true. After the gold rush is by far his strongest album.

I also like listening to Dirty Threes' ocean songs.

sonicl 06.16.2006 06:51 AM

Quote:

I thought you were married.

No, but all being well my girlfriend and I are getting a place together later in the summer. The sale of my flat's going through at the moment, then she'll sell her place, and we'll get a small mansion* somewhere in Surrey.

* All this is true except the small mansion. It'll actually be a three bedroom semi.

sonicl 06.16.2006 06:54 AM

It's surprising how good post-metal type music is at helping the drifting-off-to-sleep process. I guess that's easy to explain when it's drone-y type stuff, but I've been dozing off quite well to some stuff with fairly heavy riffs lately.

Pookie 06.16.2006 06:56 AM

That's just your age