the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2009" thread
1. christof kurzmann/burkhard stangl - neuschnee
2. master musicians of bukkake - totem one
3. aidan baker/thisquietarmy - picture of a picture
4. mass of the fermenting dregs - world is yours
5. glenn jones - barbeque bob in fishtown
6. natural snow buildings - daughter of darkness
7. james blackshaw - glass bead game
8. amen dunes - dia
9. vivian girls - everything goes wrong
10. yair yona - remember
11. sir richard bishop - freak of araby
12. tom james scott - schools and rivers
13. ooioo - armonico hewa
14. emeralds - what happened?
15. kurt vile - childish prodigy
16. harappian night recordings - glorious gongs of hainuwele
17. twinsistermoon - the hollow mountain
18. blue sabbath black cheer - crows eat the eyes from the leviathan's carcass
19. zs - music of the modern white
20. longmont potion castle - volume 7
21. wavves - wavvves
22. jim o'rourke - the visitor
23. blank dogs - under and under
24. suishou no fune - gold labyrinth
25. ben reynolds - how day earnt its night
26. polysics - absolute polysics
27. the skull defekts - the temple
28. ajilvsga - white crow
29. preslav literary school - beautiful was tie time
30. dan deacon - bromst
31. wet hair - dream
32. richard youngs - beyond the valley of ultrahits
33. drip house - sewer ghost
34. red deer - s/t
35. lightning bolt - earthly delights
36. six organs of admittance - luminous night
37. peaking lights - imaginary falcons cs
38. venetian snares - filth
39. experimental dental school - forest fields
40. brethren of the free spirit - the wolf also shall dwell with the lamb
41. predator vision / sun araw split
42. greg davis - mutually arising
43. skyramps - days of thunder
44. polvo - in prisms
45. 10-20 - s/t
46. ducktails - acres of shade
47. oneohtrix point never - betrayed in the octagon
48. loren connors/jim o'rourke - 2 nice catholic boys
49. gamelan son of lion - sonogram
50. james ferraro - heaven's gate
51. jandek - not hunting for meaning
52. alva noto - xerrox vol. 2
53. lilypad - signal longings
54. robedoor - exorcist blues
55. uuuuuu - su aside
56. isengrind - journey of the 7 stars
57. mark mcguire - tidings ii
58. tetuzo akiyama/kevin corcoran/christian kiefer - low cloud means death
59. thee oh sees - help
60. tim hecker - an imaginary country
61. monks of the balhill - lost and hide side
62. xela - heris of the fire
63. pan america - white bird release
64. lustmord - the dark places of the earth
65. super minerals - multitudes
66. pocahaunted - gold miner's daughter
67. bones of seabirds - sink thy hands deep into earth
68. group bambino - guitars from agadez vol. 2
69. flower man - peppermint steamroom
70. sunn o))) - monoliths and dimensions
71. xray eyeballs - s/t
72. john wiese/c. spencer yeh - cincinnati
73. eat skull - wild and inside
74. bionulor - bionulor
75. infinity window - articial midnight
76. sun araw - leaves like these
77. mist - certain expansion
78. c. spencer yeh - the strangler
79. medroxy progesterone acetate - mar'ah
80. boredoms - super roots 10
81. khanate - clean hands go foul
82. william basinski - 92982
83. zu - carboniferous
84. ephel duath - through my dog's eyes
85. squarepusher - numbers luscent
86. pelt - a stone for angus maclise
87. toshimaru nakamaru and ami yoshida - soba to bara
88. 8rolek - fat pigs
89. neokarma jooklo trio - time's vibe
90. pixel - the drive
91. svarte greiner - kappe
92. secret chiefs 3 - traditionalists: le mani destre recise degli ulaimi uomini
93. kabyzdoh obtruhamchi - estcho
94. sparkling wide pressure - seven inside and out
95. kane pour - wand in the beak of the yellow bird
96. peter broderick - ten duets
97. city center - s/t
98. real estate - fake blues
99. teepee - voodoo
100. million mists - haleakala
101. sorc'henn - nvit ravbe d'oree
102. acid mothers temple - lord of the underground
103. age of enlightenment - giantess
104. telecult powers - twilight of the oscillators
105. treetops - eternal sky
106. savage young taterbug - boys of the feather
107. rale - twelve hours of the night
108. brendan murray - s/t
109. cam deas - my guitar is alive and it's singing
110. chris zabriskie - dark glow of the mountains
111. habsyll - s/t
112. gregg kowalsky - tape chants
1. Prefuse 73 - Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian
2. Wavves - Wavvves
3. Zu - Carboniferous
4. Black Dice - Repo
5. Dan Deacon - Bromst
6. Experimental Dental School - Forest Field
Those are the ones I've really liked. Mi Ami's Watersports is pretty good, if inconsistent. The new Oh Sees is alright, pretty much identical to last year's effort, but less catchy.
really wanna hear the new Pan American, had no idea there was one tbh! same with Suishiou No Fune
Tim Hecker, Animal Collective, Sir Richard Bishop, Zu and Emeralds have all released albums I've really enjoyed... I'm missing one or two others, but apart from those nothing's realyy impressed me that much. Wavves is OK I guess, Super Roots 10 is not bad, but not on my favourites unfortunately.
There's a few I'd like to hear that I still haven't as well, like Sun Araw, Pocahaunted and Ignatz. And Pan American and SNF. Lookin' forward to those. Wolves in the Throne Room have a new one too which I'm hoping is good.
I am so not sold on Wavves it's ridiculous.
^^ same here
is that already out? fuck me running, I HAVE TO HAVE IT !!!
I'm glad i'm not the only one who isn't in love with the new Wavves. I liked the first album better, this one has a few good hooks but outside of that, the same old thing. I was kind of pissed to see the dude in that band plays his guitar clean live, very lifeless sound.
how much dedicated time do you actually spend listening to one of these? my math shows you've purchased/obtained/stolen a new album almost every other day (83 days so far this year) with Sundays off.
It's not like listening to a 30 (or thereabouts) minute album is a huge commitment and half of that list is ambient shit I fall asleep to. Also, not to mention I drive a good 1-2 hours a day, which is when I listen to most of my music.
I know it's an awful thing that I have heard a lot of music that has come out this year, but oh well.
1. john frusciante - the empyrean
2. experimental dental school - forest field
3. emeralds - what happened
4. mono - hymn to the immortal wind
5. mass of the fermenting dregs - world is yours
I've not listened to much this year yet.
I've heard about ten albums so far this year. The only two I've liked are AC's new one and Little Hells by Marissa Nadler.
I haven't bought an awful lot of new music this year so far.
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Atom - Liedgut
Wouter Van Veldhoven - Four Simple Songs for Five Dead Bumblebees
BJ Nilsson & Stilluppsteypa - Man From Deep River
Loop - Fade Out reissue
Loop - Heavens End reissue
Johann Johannsson - Fordlandia
Umrijeti Za Strojem - Mrtav Medji
Hitoshi Koji - Ezo
I've heard that there's a 10" collaboration between Sunn o))) and Pan Sonic covering Suicide's 'Che', but I can't find it anywhere.
If anyone comes across it could you let me know?
Thanks for sharing your lists, I'm not up to date on music myself... so far I've just checked out Emeralds and I'm loving them....I'll be perusing some more in a bit!
I thought the Wavves album came out in 2008. Not bitching, just pointing it out.
http://www.blastfirstpetite.com / http://blastfirstpetite.greedbag.com
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
The Bad Plus & Wendy Lewis - For All I Care
Doom - Born Like This
Minty Fresh Beats - Jaydiohead
...that's kind of it for now, as far as "great" in my mind.
when did this come out??? and on waht label?
i forgot what records i like this year.
The only album from 2009 that I've listened to is World is Yours by Mass of the Fermenting Dregs. It was great.
Wavves - Wavves came out in September 2008, I believe.
His new album, Wavvves, came out February 3rd of this year.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth