Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Burning software? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28225)

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 01:14 PM

Burning software?

I've had it with my junky burning software. (It's called Sonic) It screws up about 1 out of 3 DVDs I try to make. I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and buying Nero. Is there anything better out there, though?

greedrex 11.20.2008 01:16 PM

I have Sonic too, works wonders my end......

noisereductions 11.20.2008 01:17 PM

I just started using Ashampoo for some stuff. I got a free version, which is limited in some ways, and I'm not sure fully how yet. Look into that perhaps?

atsonicpark 11.20.2008 01:58 PM

buying nero? Hmm..

floatingslowly 11.20.2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
It screws up about 1 out of 3 DVDs I try to make.

are you sure it's the software and not the drive?? the older a burner gets, the worse of a problem buffer underrun becomes.

atsonicpark 11.20.2008 02:04 PM

I've burnt thousands of cd-r's with my cd burner (not a DVD burner but still..). I go through a whole pack of 50 cd-r's about every two weeks. It still works fine but it makes REALLY LOUD grinding noises sometimes.. hmm.

al shabbray 11.20.2008 02:06 PM

^^^sounds like its spinning faster then it should.
but there is some drive slow down apps if you want to get rid of that.
Ive got the same problem with my old computer till he was spinning that fast that he couldnt read any data discs properly anymore

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
are you sure it's the software and not the drive?? the older a burner gets, the worse of a problem buffer underrun becomes.

This computer is a little over 2 years old. September 2006. I do get the occasional overspin that makes it misread, but the burning software has been lousy since day 1. It's just a sample version and severally limits the usefulness.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 02:24 PM

what SONIC is this? DVD-it?

i work with DVD-it Pro and it works great.

i also have nero but it's for duplication.

2 different beasts.

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 02:27 PM

Sonic My DVDLE

I just downloaded the 15-day Nero 9 trial, about to burn my first data DVD with it. Fingers crossed.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 02:29 PM

oh hm i dont know that one. i'd try tech support at the roxio website before forking out extra dough.

you do dvd authoring? nero doesn't do that-- well it does but it's crappy...

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 02:31 PM

I just need something that I can burn files (music, video, etc) with to free up harddisk space/swap with friends. I don't need bootable or anything like that.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

I just need something that I can burn files (music, video, etc) with to free up harddisk space/swap with friends. I don't need bootable or anything like that.

ok so you just need to burn data discs.

nero is the best $70 i ever spent and it does that and more-- backups, etc-- you name it, it does it, it does it well.

the dvd authoring tool (where you create menus, etc) is shit but it does work. hwoever, doesn't look to me like you need dvd authoring. so that's apparently what the sonic mydvd does, and the upgrades too.

not sure if you wanna spend the $$ on nero, but i don't bother with warez nowadays.

then again windows vista (not sure if it's all editions) burns data discs natively.

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 03:10 PM

I use it occasionally to burn .avi to set-top readable DVDs, but that's maybe once every two months.

I'm running XP Media Center right now and don't expect that I'll ever use Vista.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

I
I'm running XP Media Center

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...rntvtodvd.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...VD/burncd.mspx

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 03:19 PM

Cool. I never knew about that because I rarely use the media center functions.

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 07:05 PM

Fuck it all. Nero didn't do shit, it said the DVD burned fine but the dye is only changed over about 1/3 of the disc and they're not being recognized by my drive.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Fuck it all. Nero didn't do shit, it said the DVD burned fine but the dye is only changed over about 1/3 of the disc and they're not being recognized by my drive.

sounds like it could be a fux0red drive. try a different one?

Sonic Youth 37 11.20.2008 07:15 PM

I'm going to reboot and try Sonic again later. Hopefully it'll work. This drive does act weird and not read DVDs sometimes and I really hope it's not the drive because I have no idea if it's warrantied or not.

!@#$%! 11.20.2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

I'm going to reboot and try Sonic again later. Hopefully it'll work. This drive does act weird and not read DVDs sometimes and I really hope it's not the drive because I have no idea if it's warrantied or not.

new drives are cheap and easy to replace. i mean, open the case, unscrew the drive, unplug the power, the data cable, put the new one in. a dvd drive is how much, $35? warranties? oy!!

you could go & buy one at a store, test it, and if it works, keep it, if it doesn't just return it.

good luck. oh, it's time to quit the office. seeya.