Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why you should care about my vacation destination (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2722)

truncated 06.08.2006 10:10 AM

Why you should care about my vacation destination

You shouldn't, unless, true to the innernet, you live vicariously through others. But throw your two cents in anyhow.

I have plane tickets to London where I should be right now, but that's another story.

However, I just got invited to a Puerto Vallarta which, because someone else gave up their spot, will be entirely free to me.

I'm not much for exotic beach landscapes, but then again, I've never been to a resort, so I can't really make that judgement in fairness. And it's free - lodging, airfare, food, alcohol, the works.

However, I've already got tickets to London, and in all the time I've spent in that vicinity, I've never actually been there. I would also get to stay there longer, as the Puerto Vallarta trip is only a week.

What would you do? I have to make a decision by Friday. Whoever gives the best input will get a souvenir.

atari 2600 06.08.2006 10:14 AM

Hard to say as free is free.

you can go to Puerto Vallarta vicariously though

I think they made a port stop there every ep

nicfit 06.08.2006 10:17 AM

come to italy right after london.
ha ha,not a great suggestion..............brrrr........i wish lightning bolt were playing in my garage tonight.
how much time do you have to spend on vacation?

truncated 06.08.2006 10:19 AM

Three weeks, if I schedule it at the right time.

I have always wanted to go to Italy, which brings up another point - once you're in the UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, you can get short, dirt-cheap flights just about anywhere else in Europe. I can think of a few places I'd stop if I had the opportunity.

truncated 06.08.2006 10:21 AM

You do have to love a man in uniform.

Toilet & Bowels 06.08.2006 10:23 AM

which way are you erring more towards at the moment and why?

_slavo_ 06.08.2006 10:24 AM

Slovakia is a nice place to be :)

next step 06.08.2006 10:26 AM

yes from London you can take cheap Rian Air flies! but if you see someone shady and with eyeliner dont take the fly ;)

I'm agree with Nic you should come in Italy thought!

fishmonkey 06.08.2006 10:31 AM

go the the UK, you have the tickets already and you'd be kicking yourself if the other holiday turned out to be crap. is it totally free? a free holiday is a hard thing to come by these days, people camp outside Travel Agents in Ireland for days over Christmas in freezing conditions cuz they give away free holidays in their January sales, nothing is really free i think there must be some catch.. maybe?

Fuck it - the UK is a buzzin place, where were you thinking of going in the UK anyways?

truncated 06.08.2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
which way are you erring more towards at the moment and why?

London, because I have a business issue to see to there anyhow, and there's the attraction of a longer vacation. I also have a friend in Norway I haven't seen in ages, and so was considering visiting her. They have KICKASS candy there.

I'm a bit apprehensive about Puerto Vallarta, because the sun is atrocious on my practically albino skin. I'm also not a fan of the 'tourist' thing - I don't do group tours or dance clubs on the strip. But never having been there, I could be unjustly condemning it. And it's free. FREE. Alcohol (with umbrellas!) at your behest from the moment you awake until the moment you pass out in a nauseous stupor.

Savage Clone 06.08.2006 10:35 AM

I would go for England, but I am not a "fun in the sun" type of guy.
T&B will be happy though, as doubtless your presence will bring rents down, if only temporarily.

fishmonkey 06.08.2006 10:36 AM

go to the UK and get a flight to Amsterdam for cheap.

truncated 06.08.2006 10:40 AM

As far as Slovakia and Italy go, I generally tend to shy away from visiting places where I don't speak the language. I might as well have "Mug me!" stamped across my forehead (which is not a comment on your country's morals - all dumb Americans deserve to get mugged).

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
go the the UK, you have the tickets already and you'd be kicking yourself if the other holiday turned out to be crap. is it totally free? a free holiday is a hard thing to come by these days, people camp outside Travel Agents in Ireland for days over Christmas in freezing conditions cuz they give away free holidays in their January sales, nothing is really free i think there must be some catch.. maybe?

Fuck it - the UK is a buzzin place, where were you thinking of going in the UK anyways?

I know this is free, because a bunch of people were going, and one of them had to back out, but had already paid. For whatever reason, they're not asking for a refund, and I get to go on their dime.

I was planning on travelling around England for a while, and stopping in Ireland and Norway to visit friends. So, with the latter two destinations, I've got places to stay as well.

truncated 06.08.2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I would go for England, but I am not a "fun in the sun" type of guy.
T&B will be happy though, as doubtless your presence will bring rents down, if only temporarily.

True, but the temporarily heightened security will be a major inconvenience.

sonicl 06.08.2006 10:45 AM

Can you rebook your flights to UK? If you can, I say go to Mexico for free now and come to the UK later in the year. If you can't, then come to the UK now.

!@#$%! 06.08.2006 10:55 AM

ah why should we care about your vacation? because vicarious pleasures are the bread and butter of the internet of course! :D

i've been to a resort in bahamas. it was crap. the food was atrocious, dorm-style. the alcohol of the worst quality. so my friend and i rented a scooter and took off all day and night-- the island was delicious, the beaches wonderful, some deserted, which lended themselves to some kinky activities among the palm trees. of course it cost a little extra to rent the scooter, and eat at restaurants, but once you get out of the tourist traps it can be spectacular.

if you are sensitive to the sun i'd say go to mexico for a few days only and then go to the u.k., where you can enjoy a cloudy, rainy summer with no damage to your alabaster skin. :p

sonicl 06.08.2006 10:58 AM

Good point by !"£$%^ about accomodation. Have you any idea what the hotel or whatever in Mexico is like? Try looking it up on Tripadvisor or something like that to check if it's heaven or hell.

Savage Clone 06.08.2006 10:58 AM

I would just like to interject that pale skin= severe hottness.

Amaranth 06.08.2006 11:00 AM

Can you do both trips? If you have three weeks, go to Puerta Vallatra first, and change your London flight for when you get back!

truncated 06.08.2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaranth
Can you do both trips? If you have three weeks, go to Puerta Vallatra first, and change your London flight for when you get back!

Hell, I never thought of that.

You're a genius.