Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NEW Be Your Own Pet album... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2706)

scott v 06.07.2006 02:01 PM

NEW Be Your Own Pet album...

anyone get this yet?

I believe this is the first release of Ecstatic Peace w/ Universal doing distribution...

sounds sorta kool, not exactly the type of punk i can listen to most of the time, they do sound alot like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and not so much like Raw Power era Stooges.

TheDom 06.07.2006 02:09 PM

I saw them on the EP homepage and checked them out. I downloaded about half of the album and I really like it alot. Great high energy stuff. I'm going to pick this up probably in the next week or so. Going on vacation and about half of it is going to be spent in the record stores:D

finding nobody 06.07.2006 02:11 PM

good fun music. the singer is also very pretty

TheDom 06.07.2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn@ke
I don't know...I think I don't like them, maybe because I didn't listen to them very well, I think there's nothing "new" on their music.

That's not the point. It's just supposed to be music, not a ground breaking epic masterpiece.

sugar kane101 06.07.2006 02:21 PM

As fun uplifting music goes they're great. The songs are very catchy simple rock. Better then most other bands in the mainstream. I'm seeing them this summer. And they are very big in England. I think the drummer might be on myspace though *looks at above photos*.

porkmarras 06.07.2006 02:31 PM

NEW Be Your Own Pet album = New Dawn.Yeah right.

Everyneurotic 06.07.2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
...they do sound alot like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs...

you wish the yyy sounded that good, or as alive, or as far from being pretenders rip offs concerned only about fashion.

scott v 06.07.2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
you wish the yyy sounded that good, or as alive, or as far from being pretenders rip offs concerned only about fashion.

i don't wish the yyy sounded off period.
karen o is annoying

nomadicfollower 06.07.2006 05:08 PM

Haven't listened. Guess I should since they open for the Youth in Atlanta.

soniknirve 06.08.2006 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
I dont hear the YYY's at all. I am digging them. Just got a shitload of stuff sent to me by soniknirve. I love grrl fronted bands. She is hott.

thanks to finding nobody and val-holla-ing for those songs...

PAULYBEE2656 06.08.2006 09:07 AM

ok byop sound nothing like the yyy. loud guitar and female voice, thats it/ byop are a million times better, powerhorsing drumming and quirky, nay funny, songs. ive had this album a while and love it more every time i put it on!

Trasher02 06.08.2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
good fun music. the singer is also very pretty

She looks like Tara Reid only cooler and less stupid.

the ikara cult 06.08.2006 11:36 PM

spunky good stuff. She is nice on the eyes but dont let that fool you, theyre a fine group of rockers. And theyre younger than me. :(

truncated 06.09.2006 03:44 PM

Without having heard their latest, I prematurely conclude that BYOP is just loud.

Hot singer, fun to listen to, but the lyrics are PAINFULLY cheesy. CRINGEWORTHY.

Them hot bitches should be seen and not heard.

acousticrock87 06.24.2006 02:48 PM

I picked this up yesterday. I'm loving it - I've had the CD on repeat since I got it. It's keeping me away from my my new James Chance CD, which is saying a lot. I love the sarcasm in the lyrics. "Oh yeah, it's cool ya know, cause we're, like, adventurers!"

They're playing 10 minutes away tomorrow so I'm gonna go see that. Jemina will be mine by the end of the night, I assure you.

PAULYBEE2656 06.24.2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
ok byop sound nothing like the yyy. loud guitar and female voice, thats it/ byop are a million times better, powerhorsing drumming and quirky, nay funny, songs. ive had this album a while and love it more every time i put it on!

since i posted this, ive begun to love the album!

val-holla-ing 06.24.2006 03:16 PM

i can't listen to it straight through. it's too much of the same thing over and over. i love their energy and spunk, but i don't think they'll have much longevity.

atari 2600 06.24.2006 05:19 PM

I like 'em.

So many people are so fond of writing about rip-offs here on this board.

So,
I thought everyone might like to know that

the YYY's "Gold Lion" totally rips off Love & Rockets' "No New Tale to Tell" from their great Earth Sun Moon album.

I suppose I should start a whole topic about it hehe, but that's not my fucking style.

BYOP & YYYs definitley have some similarities, but the difference is one is genuinely enthused & full of promise, and the other, completely contrived & annoyingly full of themselves.

acousticrock87 06.24.2006 05:29 PM

Honestly, even if they were a completely blatant rip-off of another band; if they sounded better than what they ripped it off of, I'd still like them more. Doesn't matter to me where they got it, as long as the music is good.

static-harmony 06.24.2006 11:42 PM

I havent heard the yeah yeah yeahs only for gold lion I thought it was decent.