Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Just saw Flaming Lips fearless freaks (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2468)

EyeballGrowth 06.01.2006 03:00 AM

Just saw Flaming Lips fearless freaks

I still with I hadn't wasted my money on it but it was good and interesting. That shit with Steven Drozd was fucking scary as hell though.

krastian 06.01.2006 03:01 AM

I thought it was worth it.....I mean, 2 DVD's. I paid 13 bucks for it.

Alex's Trip 06.01.2006 08:14 AM

Fearless Freaks is going to be on Sundance Channel this coming Wednseday.

RdTv 06.01.2006 08:30 AM

I'm not a big FL fan, but I thought it was well put together with some good info. I especially like the comparative scenes between them and Butthole Surfers, not to mention the interviews.

jon boy 06.01.2006 09:21 AM

what stuff with steven? is it about his heroin battles?

trainyard bliss 06.01.2006 12:10 PM

yea, i love the flaming lips, and this dvd helped me understand them far better than i had before. i just love everything they're about--it gives a better perspective from which to experience their music.

i would love to see christmas on mars if it ever actually comes out.

krastian 06.01.2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
what stuff with steven? is it about his heroin battles?

Yeah it's shows him shooting up during an interview. Also, the 2nd disc of bonus features has some cool early performances.

EyeballGrowth 06.01.2006 06:23 PM

Yeah seriously. Just watching his mannerisms and seeing the actual finished cooked heroin product, and knowing that people actually inject that horrible garbage into their veins. So fucked up.

The Butthole Surfers comparisons were really cool. It was a pretty cool documentary, but i still wish I hadn't spent my money on it. It was an impulse buy cause I really wanted something to watch that night, and I'm not an impulsive buyer so it pissed me off at myself. But it was great. So were the extras, especially " Rainin Babies "

Speaking of the Flaming Lips, what are your favorite Flaming Lips albums?

My favorite is Hit to Death in the Future Head, followed by Zaireeka, Priest Driven Ambulance, and At war with the Mystics. I got the Soft Bulliten 5.1, now THAT was worth it

Alex's Trip 06.01.2006 07:05 PM

Of all the ones I have, I'd say Transmissions from the Satallite Heart is my favorite

dazedcola 06.02.2006 03:04 AM

My favorite is a tie between Clouds Taste Metallic and In a Priest Driven Ambulance.

h8kurdt 06.02.2006 03:25 AM

I've only heard Yoshimi.... at first I hated it but it's now one of my favorite albums. Love it. I think I'm gonna get soft bullietin next.

trainyard bliss 06.02.2006 05:15 AM

i would say zaireeka, but that's just in a category of its own to me.

past that, i have a really hard time. it would probably be between clouds taste metallic and the soft bulletin.

i just got a priest driven ambulance--can't wait to get into it. oh, and by the way, if you ever have hit to death in the future head in physical form, be sure to check out the cover slip. wayne's wearing a sonic youth shirt in one picture. that made me really happy for some reason.

EyeballGrowth 06.02.2006 01:14 PM

I'm not big on yoshimi, Yoshimi, Fight Test and Pavillions mons are good tunes but I felt the rest of the album was poor.

screamingskull 07.09.2006 02:58 PM

im getting my I appreciate Steven Drozd shirt in the post soon!

ha ha ha ha ha

finding nobody 07.09.2006 03:01 PM

this shirt rules

it's hard to see in this picture but although you see "FAG" at first sight. it actually says the flaming lips

cryptowonderdruginvogue 07.09.2006 03:08 PM

does it say flaming lips on the back?

screamingskull 07.09.2006 03:10 PM

very kool, i cant wait to see them in november!!!!!!!!!!AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,
when i first got the fearless freaks documentary i watched it over and over again, its sooo great, its also pretty kool to watch it with their commentary instead of the actually sound. Wayne gets a call from Michelle half way though (awww) and Steven gets freaked out by himself.

finding nobody 07.09.2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
does it say flaming lips on the back?

yeah, it also says
ACID

finding nobody 07.14.2006 06:17 PM

i might buy this.. been digging the flaming lips lately

they interview cat power and the white stripes? schweet

foldback 07.14.2006 09:19 PM

The bonus scene where Cat Power and the Lips are backstage in Austin trying to work out "War Pigs" while Steven does his human beatbox thing...oh, that's just priceless.

Gotta say, this was one of my favorite rock documentaries of all time. Right up there with I Am Trying To Break Your Heart.