Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   drummers you don't like (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22655)

atsonicpark 06.16.2008 10:37 AM

drummers you don't like

This might actually be kind of difficult, because it's almost impossible to find shitty drummers in most major-label (or big-indie-label) bands. Out of all the world's shitty bands, the drummer is usually the most acceptable and competent one. Even bands that usually suck like KoRn and SlipKnot have AMAZING drummers.... Really, except for some old shittily-produced black metal tape from decades ago where the guy speeds up a bit every now and then... not to mention tons of shitty bands recording one time and putting their first demo on myspace (which they probably made before they wrote any songs)... it's probably going to be difficult to find drummers who, in all actuality, suck. If you can think of any, be my guest, because I want to hear shitty drummers!

But yeah, that probably wouldn't warrant many replies, let's also talk about drummers whose styles you just don't like.. drummers that clash with the bands they're in or just have a sound that irritates you or whatever... Also, if it's drummers who technically suck (like Ikue Mori when she was in DNA) but you like their style, you don't have to list them. Just drummers you think are particularly bad in one way or another.

Okay, I'll start..
[I didn't bother looking up names for anyone]

DRUMMERS WHO SUCK:
The guy who played drums in the Units - The Units were this awesome synth punk type band that formed around the time of the Screamers and some other duos, but their drummer is terrible! He does extremely inappropriate little rolls, barely even plays his kit (which is a pretty bad idea in this case since the two keyboard lines are always so busy), and he adds random off-time crash cymbal hits every now and then. On a few songs on their only full length album, he shows some real artful competence but on most songs he's just ... what's the opposite of "all over the place"? It's like he doesn't exist sometimes and when he does exist it doesn't fit at all.

DRUMMERS WHO I DON'T LIKE THE STYLE OF:
The dude from ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - The shit he plays usually just sounds ridiculous.

The guy from Electrocution 250 - Oh, he's actually amazing, but all he does is double bass pedals for 5 minutes at a time. That's pretty much ALL he does. Again, ridiculous.

Lars Ulrich - Don't get me wrong, he has tons of amazing and creative drum.. uh.. "riffs" (...And Justice For All title track comes to mind) but whenever the band speeds up he limps behind and sounds silly. He can barely keep up. He's not too noticeable on their older material... but when you look at something like St. Anger...

Joy Division drummer - Just sounds like a boring drum machine. Nothing interesting.

Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine - The least interesting rock drummer I can think of.

Of course, there's Meg White, but I'm sure someone else will talk about her.

MellySingsDoom 06.16.2008 10:55 AM

Any of the Oasis drummers - plodders one and all.

Exhibit A - Tony McCarroll:

Exhibit B: Alan White

Green Magnesium 06.16.2008 10:58 AM

I read an interview where Meg White herself stated that her drumming is PERFECT for White Stripes' music. So it must be true :rolleyes:

Toilet & Bowels 06.16.2008 11:15 AM

Tatsuya Yoshida........

..........ooooohh!

atsonicpark 06.16.2008 11:18 AM

Hahaha. He's a genius. Pretty easily in the top 5 or so drummers around.

Still.. that was quite edgy of you!

_slavo_ 06.16.2008 11:24 AM

Phil Selway of Radiohead. Not particularly brilliant drumming.

Toilet & Bowels 06.16.2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hahaha. He's a genius. Pretty easily in the top 5 or so drummers around.

Still.. that was quite edgy of you!

i don't dispute his talent but i don't enjoy anything about it myself, i don't hate him, i just would rather haino played with somebody else

Everyneurotic 06.16.2008 11:31 AM

matt sorum
lars ulrich
fat cunt who drummed in cradle of filth and dimmu borgir

demonrail666 06.16.2008 11:33 AM

The little wanker in the manic street preachers. He's just crap in every way.

But, and you're gonna hate me for being predictable, let's not forget...

Everyneurotic 06.16.2008 11:40 AM

ohh yeah, also any drummer who barely hits the drums when playing blastbeats; death to those fuckers.

batreleaser 06.16.2008 01:20 PM

richard edson, his drumming just didnt work with sonic youth's sound at all, thank god their guitars were always cranked up to the max so they could drown that guy out.

those drummers from modest mouse (theres fucking two of them, which i couldnt believe). i went with my dad to see rem on friday (i bought him tickets for father's dAY) and gay modest mouse opened (and played almost nothing from lonesome crowded west or moon and antarctica). they have two fucking drummers, and still their drum sound is weak. they were both playing the most simple ryhtyms and beats i have ever heard, so weak i almost laughed. brian chippendale or flo mounier have more skill in their pinkys than both those drummers had together.

pokkeherrie 06.16.2008 06:34 PM

I don't really enjoy Tatsuya Yoshida either. After about 15 minutes he got on my nerves. I also don't like that guy in Supersilent.

uhler 06.16.2008 06:43 PM

the drummer of korn

Everyneurotic 06.16.2008 07:54 PM

yoshida tatsuya is amazing, he can play very complex but also very subdued and yet also very powerful and simple.

and everyone who can play shifting time signature beats at that tempo while correcting a sequencer's volume and triggering samples is good in my book.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.16.2008 08:46 PM

fuck Buddy Miles, his drumming is alright but his work with Hendrix is fucking bore.

atsonicpark 06.16.2008 09:14 PM

Yeah, tatsuya is amazing; in fact, Japanese drummers in generally are usually amazing. Listen to Koenjihyakkei... probably the best "prog" drums ever.

I understand Toilet's complaints but yeeeeeeeah.

Cantankerous 06.16.2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The little wanker in the manic street preachers. He's just crap in every way.

But, and you're gonna hate me for being predictable, let's not forget...

hahaha.

it worked for the mary chain at the time though. the drums are one of the highlights of psychocandy.

gmku 06.16.2008 09:25 PM

I hated the drummer in my high sschool marching band. God, he was a drama queen.

Dead-Air 06.16.2008 10:35 PM

Most drummers really. I'd rather more bands didn't think having one was a requirement. There are some like Charlie Gocher who absolutely rule(d), but they are few and far between. There are also a few like Steve Shelley and Moe Tucker who are great at just being ultra competent, but even they are a minority.

Despite all the anti-drum machine talk that came out of the shit programming of the '80s, I prefer a well programmed machine to a boring rock drummer without fail.

uhler 06.16.2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
hahaha.

it worked for the mary chain at the time though. the drums are one of the highlights of psychocandy.

yeah i love the drumming on psychocandy. i thought it was a drum machine when i first heard the album.