Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   united states and its rape culture (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20888)

tesla69 04.02.2008 09:03 AM

united states and its rape culture
 
Rapists in the ranks


template_bas
template_bas


[COLOR=#333333! important]Sexual assaults are frequent, and frequently ignored, in the armed services.[/color]
[COLOR=#999999! important]By Jane Harman
March 31, 2008 [/color]
The stories are shocking in their simplicity and brutality: A female military recruit is pinned down at knifepoint and raped repeatedly in her own barracks. Her attackers hid their faces but she identified them by their uniforms; they were her fellow soldiers. During a routine gynecological exam, a female soldier is attacked and raped by her military physician. Yet another young soldier, still adapting to life in a war zone, is raped by her commanding officer. Afraid for her standing in her unit, she feels she has nowhere to turn.

These are true stories, and, sadly, not isolated incidents. Women serving in the U.S. military are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire in Iraq.

The scope of the problem was brought into acute focus for me during a visit to the West Los Angeles VA Healthcare Center, where I met with female veterans and their doctors. My jaw dropped when the doctors told me that 41% of female veterans seen at the clinic say they were victims of sexual assault while in the military, and 29% report being raped during their military service. They spoke of their continued terror, feelings of helplessness and the downward spirals many of their lives have since taken.

Numbers reported by the Department of Defense show a sickening pattern. In 2006, 2,947 sexual assaults were reported -- 73% more than in 2004. The DOD's newest report, released this month, indicates that 2,688 reports were made in 2007, but a recent shift from calendar-year reporting to fiscal-year reporting makes comparisons with data from previous years much more difficult.

The Defense Department has made some efforts to manage this epidemic -- most notably in 2005, after the media received anonymous e-mail messages about sexual assaults at the Air Force Academy. The media scrutiny and congressional attention that followed led the DOD to create the Sexual Assault and Response Office. Since its inception, the office has initiated education and training programs, which have improved the reporting of cases of rapes and other sexual assaults. But more must be done to prevent attacks and to increase accountability.

At the heart of this crisis is an apparent inability or unwillingness to prosecute rapists in the ranks. According to DOD statistics, only 181 out of 2,212 subjects investigated for sexual assault in 2007, including 1,259 reports of rape, were referred to courts-martial, the equivalent of a criminal prosecution in the military. Another 218 were handled via nonpunitive administrative action or discharge, and 201 subjects were disciplined through "nonjudicial punishment," which means they may have been confined to quarters, assigned extra duty or received a similar slap on the wrist. In nearly half of the cases investigated, the chain of command took no action; more than a third of the time, that was because of "insufficient evidence."

This is in stark contrast to the civilian trend of prosecuting sexual assault. In California, for example, 44% of reported rapes result in arrests, and 64% of those who are arrested are prosecuted, according to the California Department of Justice.

The DOD must close this gap and remove the obstacles to effective investigation and prosecution. Failure to do so produces two harmful consequences: It deters victims from reporting, and it fails to deter offenders. The absence of rigorous prosecution perpetuates a culture tolerant of sexual assault -- an attitude that says "boys will be boys."

I have raised the issue with Defense Secretary Robert Gates. Although I believe that he is concerned, thus far, the military's response has been underwhelming -- and the apparent lack of urgency is inexcusable.

Congress is not doing much better. Although these sexual assault statistics are readily available, our oversight has failed to come to grips with the magnitude of the crisis. The abhorrent and graphic nature of the reports may make people uncomfortable, but that is no excuse for inaction. Congressional hearings are urgently needed to highlight the failure of existing policies. Most of our servicewomen and men are patriotic, courageous and hardworking people who embody the best of what it means to be an American. The failure to address military sexual assault runs counter to those ideals and shames us all.

Jane Harman (D-Venice) chairs the House Homeland Security subcommittee on intelligence.

davenotdead 04.02.2008 09:22 AM

australia has commercials about rape... these run frequently

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.02.2008 03:08 PM

it is odd isn't it.

tesla69 05.21.2012 03:48 PM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/2...in-your-mouth/

!@#$%! 05.21.2012 03:55 PM

you need to travel more outside the Big Satan

knox 05.21.2012 05:45 PM

rape culture is worldwide, sadly.
the most unreported crime, and the with the least convictions when reported.

tesla69 01.28.2013 11:35 AM

Here's the USa in 2013:
If you’re looking for evidence that the differences between men and women are greatly exaggerated, the fact that women are equally capable as men of mind-blowing misogyny should erase all doubt. New Mexico state Rep. Cathrynn Brown proved that this week by introducing a bill aimed at throwing rape victims in jail if they refuse to honor their rapist’s right to control their body by carrying his child. This sort of insult to rapists will not stand, so Brown, standing up bravely for rapists who want the suffering they’ve inflicted to carry on and on for their victims, has proposed banning abortion for rape victims on the phony grounds that it’s “tampering with evidence”.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/2...ith-jail-time/

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.28.2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Here's the USa in 2013:
If you’re looking for evidence that the differences between men and women are greatly exaggerated, the fact that women are equally capable as men of mind-blowing misogyny should erase all doubt. New Mexico state Rep. Cathrynn Brown proved that this week by introducing a bill aimed at throwing rape victims in jail if they refuse to honor their rapist’s right to control their body by carrying his child. This sort of insult to rapists will not stand, so Brown, standing up bravely for rapists who want the suffering they’ve inflicted to carry on and on for their victims, has proposed banning abortion for rape victims on the phony grounds that it’s “tampering with evidence”.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/2...ith-jail-time/



Thank you, some folks have taken notice that men are not entirely or solely to blame for the gender gap or for the horrifying rape/violence culture of the American experience. We are ALL humans, the struggle is mutual. To draw lines in the sand is only the perpetuate the discrepensies, not the bridge the gaps. We either work together, or we break apart which of course doesn't work. As a man, it pains and wounds me all the more to know that women in our society, women in our communities, women in our families, experience these horrors as a day-to-day culture shock. Alas, like Captain Planet said, in regards to the solution, "The power is yours." As an educator my role begins with shaping and affecting how young men and women view themselves and each other and their roles, obligations, and also risks in our society. The ball is in our court, we only empower the wrong when we put all the blame on aggressor, the blame equally falls on our society as a whole.

knox 01.28.2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
when we put all the blame on aggressor.



who else are we supposed to blame? the victim?
it gets worse with each post, just stop.

no, it's not a "mutual" fight.
with every discrimination there is a group that is oppressed and one that gets advantages with that oppression.

they are not all "mutually" interested in the same thing (see this board for evidence).

knox 01.28.2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Here's the USa in 2013:
If you’re looking for evidence that the differences between men and women are greatly exaggerated, the fact that women are equally capable as men of mind-blowing misogyny should erase all doubt. New Mexico state Rep. Cathrynn Brown proved that this week by introducing a bill aimed at throwing rape victims in jail if they refuse to honor their rapist’s right to control their body by carrying his child. This sort of insult to rapists will not stand, so Brown, standing up bravely for rapists who want the suffering they’ve inflicted to carry on and on for their victims, has proposed banning abortion for rape victims on the phony grounds that it’s “tampering with evidence”.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/2...ith-jail-time/


OMFG God, such friends.
are you not even embarassed to say 'THANK YOU' to this post?
This seriously make me feel ILL.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.28.2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
OMFG God, such friends.
are you not even embarassed to say 'THANK YOU' to this post?
This seriously make me feel ILL.


I'm not embarrased at tesla posting the absurd and insane comments about rape made by a nutjob politician. Are you just upset that the idiot who made them was a WOMAN and not a demonic man?
Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
who else are we supposed to blame? the victim?
it gets worse with each post, just stop.

no, it's not a "mutual" fight.
with every discrimination there is a group that is oppressed and one that gets advantages with that oppression.

they are not all "mutually" interested in the same thing (see this board for evidence).


You keep hijacking to dialogue with your exaggerations. My dear, PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE THE FUCK I SAID BLAME THE VICTIM? I am already pissed at how you misrespresented my comments and confused people on the other thread, and now you are trying to do it again?


No to blaming the victim, but thanks for jumping on the hyperbolically exaggerated strawmen arguments, you've been on a 27 page roll with those lately, deciding to attack your allies more then your enemies, burning bridges with the reckless abandon of some pubescant runaway. Check the scenario, I NEVER implied blame the victim, but rather blame the society. We are ALL in this together, we ALLOW rape like we ALLOWED slavery. We combat rape and sexual violence the SAME WAY we combatted slavery, as a community. We have to work TOGETHER to solve these problems, not pretend that as isolated and opposing encampments we can accomplish anything. What is worse, the more divided we are, the more the aggressors thrive in the chaos. We mute the aggression when we react in unison. We maintain unity by avoiding petty, egoistic in-fighting.

Again, you can't conflate ALL men with ALL rapists, that is the same mistake as conflating all white people in the 1860s with slavery. Freed slaves recall fondly that the 1860s produced perhaps one of the greatest generations of white people the world has ever known. The same can be true of men in the 21st century in the context of gender-relations, but it again has to be a matter of mutuality, not conflict. Women will not improve their status in our society through strict opposition to men in general, rather to violence. knox, it can't be men you are against, rather the rape culture. Trust that, men like myself if anything are ALL THE MORE equally opposed to this culture as you are, so work with your allies, or fail as a soloist, but society is about mutuality, not increasingly abritrary dividing lines...

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
No, i'm not upset the asshole was a woman because i'm not the one making 'biological arguments' about assholism.



Never made the argument you are libelling against me, but that is ok, other people who actually READ my posts are well aware of that, but your hyperbolic strawman bashing of a caricature of my character is all the more revealing that you're letting your emotions destroy the credibility of anything you are arguing.

floatingslowly 01.28.2013 02:03 PM

as one whose family not only hid John Brown in our barn, but were active "first round participants" in the underground-railroad, I would like more empirical data ragarding "what black folks in the 1860's" thought.

Thanks!

!@#$%! 01.28.2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
New Mexico state Rep. Cathrynn Brown proved that this week by introducing a bill aimed at throwing rape victims in jail if they refuse to honor their rapistís right to control their body by carrying his child.


this might sound like reverse psychology to you, but this is fucking brilliant-- the bill has no chance whatsoever to pass; all it accomplishes is to mobilize people and donations against republicans.

watch this video of bobby "kenneth the page" jindal saying republicans have to stop being "the stupid party":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0K4SCdero

i hope cathryrnn brown gets reelected for another 1000 years because all that she is accomplishing is to help "the stupid party" self-destruct

knox 01.28.2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
as one whose family not only hid John Brown in our barn, but were active "first round participants" in the underground-railroad, I would like more empirical data ragarding "what black folks in the 1860's" thought.

Thanks!


Do you remember when racists used Morgan Freeman as an 'example' of how people should stop talking about racism? Do you remember how gross that was? http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,blo...-Americans.htm

knox 01.28.2013 02:48 PM

No, i'm not upset the asshole was a woman because i'm not the one making 'biological arguments' about assholism.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.28.2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
Do you remember when racists used Morgan Freeman as an 'example' of how people should stop talking about racism? Do you remember how gross that was? http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,blo...-Americans.htm


Ahem..

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
That's what we get to when we can't/don't want to answer the questions, right?


dale_gribble 01.28.2013 05:30 PM

You must spread some Rapeutation around before giving it to SuchFriendsAreDangerous again.

EVOLghost 01.28.2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
as one whose family not only hid John Brown in our barn, but were active "first round participants" in the underground-railroad, I would like more empirical data ragarding "what black folks in the 1860's" thought.

Thanks!


gtfo.

!@#$%! 01.29.2013 04:12 PM

this is what i'm talking about. i got this in an email today:

Quote:

This is out of control. Republicans in Santa Fe spent the last two weeks in a dangerous game of one-upmanship to write the most regressive legislation possible.

The topics range from dangerous to downright ridiculous, but for New Mexico women, it's not all fun and games. These are the most regressive, anti-woman laws we've ever seen.

We're fighting back and we need your help. Click here to give $10, $25, $50 or more now on our Rapid Response ActBlue page and we'll put your dollars to work!

- Cathrynn Brown's bill to punish rape victims who seek an abortion got plenty of national coverage, but it was just the beginning.

- Nora Espinoza wants to bring forced, trans-vaginal ultrasounds to New Mexico and give the partner of the woman and his parents the right to seek civil penalties from a woman.

- Larry Larranaga wants to legally define abortion as Murder or Manslaughter.

- Alonzo Baldonado wants to hold physicians responsible for informing a young woman's family of her medical decisions.

And we're only two weeks in.

etc., etc.

that cathrynn brown person has been backpedaling furiously for a while now, but oh, she's now fodder for the fundraising cannons of the people who oppose her-- wooohooo! please, we need another.

brownie you're doing a heckuva job

the stupid party!

i'm howling with laughter.

Keeping It Simple 01.30.2013 09:07 AM

What is it with soldiers and rape? One for psychiatrists everywhere, making sure no females are involved as they might get raped, ironically.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth