Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   favorite pop punk band (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20656)

uhler 03.23.2008 09:05 PM

favorite pop punk band

i don't mean the shitty crap rolling stone and spin say is pop punk. i mean the good shit like anything from the buzzcocks to the decendents, to the early lookout! records releases. i know everyone out there loves at one pop punk band. how could you not?

i, of course, have to go with the descendents, but i really like screeching weasel and the riverdales too. the ergs! and pink razors are some pretty good newer bands.

oh yeah, discount is one of my favorites too. actually if it wasn't for milo goes to college, they would be my favorite pop punk band.

krastian 03.23.2008 09:07 PM

Ha ha ha, yeah I was going to say The Descendents and The Buzzcocks, but that's as far as I go!!!

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 09:08 PM

Older: Buzzcocks. Singles Going Steady is a hell of a lot of fun
Newer: Q and Not U. Too bad they're not together anymore.

jimbrim 03.23.2008 09:10 PM

i enjoy leatherface and the majority of frankie stubb's other group's. i sometimes crave early snuff now and again too. guns n' wankers.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
i enjoy leatherface and the majority of frankie stubb's other group's. i sometimes crave early snuff now and again too. guns n' wankers.

leatherface were amazing! i liked some snuff. i'll still listen to it if it was on, but i don't think i could buy a record.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Descendents

really Milo Goes to College is such a nostalgic album for me...i've heard it to death and still never get bored by it.

my thoughts exactly. that and damaged helped me get through 8th grade.

batreleaser 03.23.2008 09:18 PM

the ramones are pop-punk ive always thought, so i go with the ramones without question...

jimbrim 03.23.2008 09:18 PM

uhler- yeah, snuff have released some great song's in the past, a lot of crap too though.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
the ramones are pop-punk ive always thought, so i go with the ramones without question...

yeah, i kind of left them out just because i knew everyone would pick them.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
uhler- yeah, snuff have released some great song's in the past, a lot of crap too though.

their fat wreck chords stuff isn't so bad though. i haven't heard much of anything aside from that stuff by them.

krastian 03.23.2008 09:25 PM

Two Things At Once is easily in my Top 10 favorite albums ever....4 lyfe etc.

Everyneurotic 03.23.2008 09:28 PM

i'd probably say the adolescents.

yeah, i love them.

krastian 03.23.2008 09:30 PM

True that, can't forget them either.

EDIT - The Adolescents

Death & the Maiden 03.23.2008 09:31 PM

Ramones
Buzzcocks
The Clash (maybe more of a band that did pop and punk though)
Wire

batreleaser 03.23.2008 09:33 PM

wire i wudnt categorize as pop punk at all, ive always thought of them as a post punk band who just happened to come around the time when punk was startin up, they were light years ahead of all those bands in terms of creativity, one of the top 20 all time greatest me thinks.

GravitySlips 03.23.2008 09:33 PM

Pink Flag could possibly be called pop-punk I think...certain songs anyway. Anything after that not so much.

batreleaser 03.23.2008 09:42 PM

i was gonna say adolescents, but theyre a little too hardcore i thought to be pop-punk. great band though, fun band.

Death & the Maiden 03.23.2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
wire i wudnt categorize as pop punk at all, ive always thought of them as a post punk band who just happened to come around the time when punk was startin up, they were light years ahead of all those bands in terms of creativity, one of the top 20 all time greatest me thinks.

They were a post-punk band with pop elements (listen to Mannequin).

Death & the Maiden 03.23.2008 09:53 PM

Bad Religion

uhler 03.23.2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
yeah man...I would say Milo was the first album i ever really loved. Before I heard it, I did like bad religion, nofx, operation ivy, and other bands like that. When I heard Milo though, I became disturbingly obsessed with it at that time. And it was my first SST record, and I soon got into Black Flag and the Minutemen, and generally started listening to hardcore instead of pop-punk.

I think I'm gonna go revisit a lot of my old favourite hardcore and punk albums soon. I feel such an urge to stick on the Descendents right now, but time for bed haha.

yeah when i first heard black flag, i didn't touch another pop punk record for awhile. actually i didn't touch any record for awhile aside from damaged. the minutemen came a little later and so did the descendents. it's funny i was deep into hardcore punk (fast and furious only)but the first minutemen record i bought was double nickels on the dime and def. was not fast (furious yes, but not hardcore sounding), but i fell in love with it right away. i always look back and laugh when i think about that time period of my life.