Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   austin texas acid punk... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20189)

batreleaser 03.04.2008 12:46 PM

austin texas acid punk...

dude this scene is so often overlooked, and its so fucking awesome. butthole surfers, cherubs, fuckemos, etc... these bands took hardcore punk and said fuck you to all the seriousness, politicalness, and straight edgedness of the scene, and were like, well, were gonna do a ton of drugs, and mix punk rock with tons of noise and psychedelia. butthole surfers in particular mustve been such a breath of fresh air when they came around, i mean as amazing as hardcore was, it was so strict, short songs, play fast, short hair, and then the buttholes came along and just fucked everything up. lets appreciate these weird little bands from this weird little scene, long live buttholes, cherubs, and fuckemos! (early flaming lips too but unforunatly theyre not from texas)

screamingskull 03.04.2008 12:48 PM

i know nothing about the Austin scene, i will have to look into this. I know about the El Paso scene but thats it for music from texas!

Savage Clone 03.04.2008 12:50 PM

I thought the Buttholes were from San Antonio.

batreleaser 03.04.2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I thought the Buttholes were from San Antonio.

youre right, but they played and immersed themselves in austin. and the only thing i know about el paso is ATDI and johhny cash gettin busted for amphetamines. i love johhny cash!

floatingslowly 03.04.2008 01:19 PM

you forgot Ed Hall.

KUNG FU FUCKIN MUSIC IMO.

gualbert 03.04.2008 01:22 PM

And Crust.
They were from Texas , werent they?

Savage Clone 03.04.2008 01:23 PM

Rusted Shut?

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 02:15 PM

Pain teens
rusted shut
mike gunn

HOUSTON TEXAS!!!!

the butthole started in san antonio but their home base was ass-town.

floatingslowly 03.04.2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Pain teens

hahahah omg I haven't heard that name in forever. it used to be spray-painted all over Deep Ellum in Dallas.

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 02:27 PM

In 1992 I saw sonic youth perform in Houston during their Pretty Fucking Dirty Tour, with Pavement and the Pain Teens opening up. It was AWESOME

Bliss Blood (singer for painteens) came out in a sequin skirt and pasties, titties all out and floppin nice.

then pavement came on and they were fucking amazing and Gary Young did handstands and it was amazingly wonderful and then sonic youth came on and kim was wearing a t shirt, heels, and panties, and that's it, and I was right up front and I stared at kim's pussy mound all show long.

I LOVE SONIC YOUTH

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 02:31 PM

Pain Teens - The basement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufB4tWsOtAs

The Mike Gunn - Bliss Blood (live from reunion show)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RoI3Y-4K1eI

Rusted Shut - Shot In The Head/Not Far From It
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VefmUxNSYcg

█████████ 03.04.2008 02:32 PM

did you had never seen a pussy mound before?

DJ Rick 03.04.2008 02:50 PM

I dunno...All this music's great and all, but I've never thought that Austin's preeminence in this weird/noisy 80's HCpunk/adjacent scene was overshadowed. If anything, it's maybe a little overstated. A lot of the bands mentioned here were from other Texas cities, and some of them never moved to Austin.

And, really....This kinda shit was coming from everywhere at the same time just as kids into HC got bored and wanted to do something smarter or more-intentionally-dumb(-and-thereby-somehow-more-smarterer)...probably beginning with Flipper (San Francisco) and soon following with stuff like No Trend (Baltimore), Bobby Soxx/Stickmen w/Rayguns (Dallas (same state, but a whole other world)), Drunks With Guns (St. Louis), End Result (Chicago), Crucifucks and Killdozer (Wisconsin), early Sun City Girls (Phoenix), and even half the bands on New Alliance (mostly L.A.). Tons and tons more.

All this stuff is a logical progression from HC for kids that didn't wanna go "crossover" into speed/thrash-metal. It's a missing evolutionary link between HC and the wildly varied world of arty/experimental/psych-damaged stuff, and today's so-called "noise-rock." Funny thing is, they called this stuff "noise-rock" back then, too.

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 02:50 PM

not kim Gordon's! my rock n roll goddess! My queen of noise! My beloved rock fantasy!

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Rick
I dunno...All this music's great and all, but I've never thought that Austin's preeminence in this weird/noisy 80's HCpunk/adjacent scene was overshadowed. If anything, it's maybe a little overstated. A lot of the bands mentioned here were from other Texas cities, and some of them never moved to Austin.

And, really....This kinda shit was coming from everywhere at the same time just as kids into HC got bored and wanted to do something smarter or more-intentionally-dumb(-and-thereby-somehow-more-smarterer)...probably beginning with Flipper (San Francisco) and soon following with stuff like No Trend (Baltimore), Bobby Soxx/Stickmen w/Rayguns (Dallas (same state, but a whole other world)), Drunks With Guns (St. Louis), End Result (Chicago), Crucifucks and Killdozer (Wisconsin), early Sun City Girls (Phoenix), and even half the bands on New Alliance (mostly L.A.). Tons and tons more.

All this stuff is a logical progression from HC for kids that didn't wanna go "crossover" into speed/thrash-metal. It's a missing evolutionary link between HC and the wildly varied world of arty/experimental/psych-damaged stuff, and today's so-called "noise-rock." Funny thing is, they called this stuff "noise-rock" back then, too.

it is true. fuck austin. austin can eat rotten shit.

DJ Rick 03.04.2008 04:17 PM

If any place was ever chock fulla these kindsa bands to the point where this style of music should be thought of as synonymous with the name of any place, it should be Australia, and chiefly Melbourne. That whole milieu of bands on Aberrant and Waterfront...

Rob Instigator 03.04.2008 04:42 PM

but australian bands don;t got the LSD chops

Savage Clone 03.04.2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but australian bands don;t got the LSD chops

Not even Lubricated Goat?

batreleaser 03.04.2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Rick

very spot on, but they called it noise rock because it was noise rock, i mean, noise rock is a very open genre, most of the bands sound wildly different from one another except for the fact that they make noise. but im just talkin texas here because they really were one of the first scenes in which punk rockers started to embrace lsd. in the early punk days, the drugs were speed, heroin, pills, and booze, and then the hardcore kids carried on this tradition, or shunned upon drugs all together. anyways, my top 5 bands from texas:

1. butthole surfers
2. millions of dead cops
3. 13 floor elevators
4. cherubs
5. fuckemos

i know mdc and the elevators dont apply, but i LOVE those bands.

StevOK 03.04.2008 05:01 PM

Don't forget Tripping Daisy (download in sig)!