Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DDN vs. Radiohead's The Bends (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18318)

Neongod 12.14.2007 04:30 PM

DDN vs. Radiohead's The Bends

The folks over at the most prominent Radiohead message board have put up a poll for DDN vs. The Bends (they could have at least chose Kid A or OK Computer). The results here will not be surprising but I thought in all fairness it would be appropriate.
Here's the link to the poll, but you have to be a member to view.
http://www.ateaseweb.com/mb/index.ph...opic=235029107

For the record, DDN by a mile for me (and it's currently winning...on a RH message board!).

to.w 12.14.2007 04:39 PM

what's the point? The Bends is Radiohead's shittiest album, so...

atsonicpark 12.14.2007 04:40 PM

Is this a joke?

The Bends isn't even in the same universe as Daydream Nation.

atsonicpark 12.14.2007 04:43 PM

I'd take, say, Kid A over DDN.

But I'd take Sister and Confusion over Kid A.

Why compare Radiohead and SY? Radiohead are overrated and boring and have like 1 great album and perhaps 2 really good ones. Sonic Youth is infiintely better.

But again - what's the point of even comparing them? They're not even of the same genre.. in fact there's hardly anything similiar about the two.

Neongod 12.14.2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
But again - what's the point of even comparing them? They're not even of the same genre.. in fact there's hardly anything similiar about the two.

Agreed. But someone chose to compare them so I thought I'd bring it here. Like I said, the results will not be surprising.

Neongod 12.14.2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by to.w
what's the point? The Bends is Radiohead's shittiest album, so...

Not sure about that. Ever heard Pablo Honey in its entirety?

atsonicpark 12.14.2007 05:06 PM

They're both pretty bad honestly.

Either way...
I was a seeking out for a funnel. Not only magnets but I could pry bar it shut. Glueing my manhood turns a man off. Like peppy lepew the scent hey hey had a clutch. I got my diddly spayed. Hydraulic push of kitty assbutton. Tweeking and flexing if the wind blows just right. Tacky and thumbs on Polyester. Highwater jumpsuits and a raped ape. Then I take it back. I got my diddly spayed. I don't know why, I got a joke too silly to say. Don't trust the foams.. I got ... Dick dick hear my fucking hate! I got my diddly spayed. Vinegar and Water is gaining monthly. Fiberglass insulation disquised as cotton candy. Spanning down stream el Rancho ovulate. Feeding a cow hamburger and raw. Peter has brought me the tiki idol. Billys sneer reminds me of someone. Homesick a bay aboard the love boat. Toni Tenile Sonny Bono Charo had a nice set of lungs. I got my diddly spayed.

k-krack 12.14.2007 05:15 PM

HAHAHAHA

seriously... the Radiohead board is retarded for simply coming up with the idea to compare the two (just a joke, Rhead boardies! I don't want to spark Fall v. SY II). Radiohead are one of my favourite bands, but the Bends is shitty, and comparing it to Daydream nation... is a fucking insult.

alyasa 12.14.2007 09:03 PM

In Utero

ZEROpumpkins 12.15.2007 05:34 AM

Those two albums are so different. ateaseweb is full of fanboy's anyway.

SYRFox 12.15.2007 05:57 AM

In french Rock&Folk (probably the shittiest music newspaper ever), Thom Yorke has wrote an article this month - which you can read online, don't even imagine I buy such a crappy zine - about In Rainbows, and he says he has been influenced by Thurston Moore's tricks about tuning guitars (apparently they are on Thurston's site). I know it's not really accurate in this thread but I found that funny

to.w 12.15.2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neongod
Not sure about that. Ever heard Pablo Honey in its entirety?

yep! I've heard and listened to each R. album from A to Z and I persist : The Bends is shitty. Pablo Honey was great when it was released (a bit old now), and the Bends was such a disappointment. Anyway, as everybody said, SY and R, even if they've often been compared to each other (we heard "radiohead is one of the most SY-influenced band"...), are not evolving in the same musical world. So let's not compare them... again, what was the point?

Torn Curtain 12.15.2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Why compare Radiohead and SY? Radiohead are overrated and boring and have like 1 great album and perhaps 2 really good ones. Sonic Youth is infiintely better.

I love Radiohead as much as Sonic Youth. Regarding the poll DDN is off course far better, but if it was OK Computer instead of the Bends I might be undecided (as DDN and OK Computer both belong to my favorite records ever).

Torn Curtain 12.15.2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by to.w
The Bends is shitty.

Tastes differ but The Bends is not shitty at all to me (if only for Street spirit).

andrei 12.15.2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

They're both pretty bad honestly.

Either way...
I was a seeking out for a funnel. Not only magnets but I could pry bar it shut. Glueing my manhood turns a man off. Like peppy lepew the scent hey hey had a clutch. I got my diddly spayed. Hydraulic push of kitty assbutton. Tweeking and flexing if the wind blows just right. Tacky and thumbs on Polyester. Highwater jumpsuits and a raped ape. Then I take it back. I got my diddly spayed. I don't know why, I got a joke too silly to say. Don't trust the foams.. I got ... Dick dick hear my fucking hate! I got my diddly spayed. Vinegar and Water is gaining monthly. Fiberglass insulation disquised as cotton candy. Spanning down stream el Rancho ovulate. Feeding a cow hamburger and raw. Peter has brought me the tiki idol. Billys sneer reminds me of someone. Homesick a bay aboard the love boat. Toni Tenile Sonny Bono Charo had a nice set of lungs. I got my diddly spayed.

Do i smell that fucked-up retard, junky, untalented and so on cunt? :)

SuperCreep 12.15.2007 01:49 PM

The Bends has some really incredible, jaw-droppingly great moments, but there's a few bits like Bones, Bullet Proof, Black Star, and Sulk that just don't do anything for me. I find DDN to be gripping from start to finish.

I would take Kid A over DDN, though.

✌➬ 12.15.2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
In Utero

Word.

the ikara cult 12.15.2007 06:13 PM

The Bends just about scrapes in as the 3rd best Radiohead album. Massively overrated in my eyes.
As such, i think theres 9 or 10 Sonic Youth albums better than it.

atsonicpark 12.15.2007 07:44 PM

fuck radiohead.

Protectmeyou 12.15.2007 08:38 PM

stupid thread

what do you prefer, eating chocolate or wearing jeans?