Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   recommend me some NoiseRock (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18165)

hune.prut 12.06.2007 02:21 AM

recommend me some NoiseRock

I've been listening to SY for some years now and they are off course my favorit. I've now dicovered Dinosaur jr. about 6 month ago.

But I need something new!!

Could you recommend a/some great bands in these genres?? Thanks.

- Hune.prut

king_buzzo 12.06.2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
scratch acid
butthole surfers
shellac
the electric eels

yep, these are good choices. also get some Big Black, Rapeman, and i cant fucking remember anything at the time now.

_slavo_ 12.06.2007 03:45 AM

Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime

It's a gem, believe me.

king_buzzo 12.06.2007 03:53 AM

yeah! and all the shit he produced.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.06.2007 05:44 AM

Depends on what kind of noise you like hune.prut

If you like the agressive noise of SY- then Big Black, Scratch Acid, and that sort of stuff would strike your fancy.

If you like some of the more pop stylings of SY and Dinosaur Jr., you might like bands like the Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine.

What are your favorite songs and albums by Sonic Youth? Dinosaur Jr.?

finding nobody 12.06.2007 07:18 AM

Polvo
Unwound
Lightning Bolt
Boredoms
Melt Bannana
Arab on Radar
Comets on Fire
Acid Mothers Temple
Boris

Torn Curtain 12.06.2007 07:25 AM

The Notwist (of the album "12")
Lift to Experience
The Grifters ("Crappin' you negative" especially)
Ulan Bator
The Stooges (precursors of the genre at least)

atsonicpark 12.06.2007 09:15 AM

Hmm.. in my mind, Shellac has never been nor never will be considered "noise rock" (except by people who update wikipedia). There's really nothing noisey about them, unless having super-trebley guitar is considered "noise rock" (I can already feel it.. I'm waiting for it... "WHAT ABOUT MAMA GINA??? THEREE'S NOISE IN THAT!!!!!!"). Obviously, Rapeman and Big Black = noise rock. But Shellac? No way. Same goes with Jesus Lizard, is it really even noisey? Maybe the vocals. But they definitely didn't start out too noisey and DEFINITELY didn't end noisey. But I guess they could be included.

As for "all bands Albini has been in", why do people constantly overlook his stint in Flour? Great band.

As for "all the bands Albini produced", granted he's produced some "noise rock" like Space Streakings, Distorted Pony, stuff like that, but I'd say 70% of his recorded output isn't noise rock at all. Jawbreaker? Joanna Newsom? Fred from B-52's? Jon Spencer? The Ghost? Page/Plant? The Auteurs? Need I keep going? Not noise rock in the least.

As for the Bush thing, Bush isn't too bad, that album he produced by them is way noisier than some of the bands listed here in fact. And the Pixies album he produced has their noisiest song: Vamos!

Anyway.. back on topic and at the top of my head.. (and I'm trying not to mention too many no wave bands, since they could be lumped in as "Noise rock")..
- Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 (way too melodic to be considered "noise rock" but yeah, worth checking out if you're into noise rock)
- Cherubs (the band that did "Heroin Man")
- Truman's Water
- Distorted Pony (mentioned 'em above, excellent band)
- Bastro (similiar to Distorted Pony, very good with an amazing drummer)
- Mount Shasta ("Put Your Creep On" is probably the best 'noise rock' album ever)
- Point Line Plane (two keyboards playing distorted noise rocking stuff with references to stuff like Screamers)
- Bride of No No (kinda no wavey, kinda proggy, noise rock GENIUSES, best band that no one ever pays attention to)
- Pre (kinda references no wave too but..)
- Limited Express (Has Gone?) (Melt Banana-ish, so yeah, but some of their stuff is really poppy and minimal)
- Flying Luttenbachers (jazzy noise rock)
- Zeni fuckin Geva!
- Happy Flowers
- XBXRX (again, approaches no wave, but some of their stuff is total noise rock)
- Unsane
- Cutthroats 9
- Theory of Ruin
- Cows (kind of a drunken punk noise rock)
- RUINS (kind of a prog noise rock)
- Neptune
- Mindflayer (don't really care for 'em, but they're worth checking out)
- Mae Shi (some of their stuff is real mathy, some is real noisey, kind of a perplexing band)
- The 1985 (see above)
- Hair Police (lumped in with "noise, total noise, not noise rock", their stuff with drums could be considered noise "rock" because, well, it rocks)
- Lightning Bolt
- U.S. Maple
- Melt Banana
- Half Japanese
- Dazzling Killmen (a bit too mathy and jazzy, but it has really really harsh noise parts too)
- Collossamite (see above)
- Black Dice (early stuff)
- Arab on Radar
- AIDS Wolf (fucking hate them, but .. yeah)
- You Fantastic!
- Deerhoof (reeeeeeeeeeeally stretching the term "noise rock" for that one, but their early stuff definitely is)
- Pussy Galore
- Yowie (basically, the most complex band I've ever heard, there's about 9000 time changes a second, and by definition it's not "noise rock" but.. it's SO complex and pounding that it will give you a similiar migraine to noise rock)
- Vomit Lunch
- Medicine (obscure noise rock band I randomly found on soulseek once and haven't found any info on since)
- Helmet (not usually thought of as noise rock; listen to Strap It On..)
- Japanther (poppy fuzzed out stuff with overdistorted noise vocals and shitty production)
- Guitar Wolf (garage rock that is produced like a fucking Merzbow album)
- Xinlisupreme (hmm.. Big Black drum machine, My Bloody Valentine guitar walls, and almost poppy hooks combined with huge Merzbow-ish production; odd little band)
- Sun City Girls (only a little bit, but some of their stuff could fit in with noise rock)
- Caroliner (see above, but a bit more)
- Drive Like Jehu (like mentioned above, Yank Crime is fucking amazing!)
- God Bullies
- Halo of Flies
- godheadSilo (a bit "un-noisey" for noise rock, but I don't know how else to describe them; good band)
- Six Finger Satellite (only some of their stuff could be considered noise rock, I'm thinking "severe exposure"-era)
- Polvo (again, they're not even that noisey, it's like Thinking Fellers Union: brilliant band who utilizes noise for their advantage at times)
- Unwound
- Scissor Shock (definitely, if you're into noise rock at all but want something a bit weirder, check out Scissor Shock)
- Pogo the Clown
- Helios Creed
- Chrome
- Mr. Bungle (only occassionally jumps into "noise rock" territory but it's there)
- Squirrel Bait (imagine Husker Du that's a bit more angular.. did I spell that right?... with yelled vocals and thick sheens of trebled guitar)
- Darth Vegas (see above)
- Vicious Hairy Mary (see above)
- Naked City (see above)
- Mog Stunt Team
- Lubricated Goat
- The Ex (some of thier stuff, mainly later era)
- Goon Moon (newest album is stoner metal kinda stuff with some eccentricies, first album was like a noise rock band who had listened to Devo and the Residents and were trying to cover Sleep at the same time; weird band, lump 'em in how you will)
- Brainiac (hmm.. I feel odd putting them here, but they definitely have some noise rocking stuff)
- Heroine Sheiks
- Old Lady Drivers (kind of an industrial noise rock sludge, really fucking good shit also known as simply OLD)
- Gas Huffer
- Gear Jammer
- Athletic Automation
- (((microwaves))) (six finger satellite-ish abrasive pounding noise rock)
- Curse of the Birthmark (also lumped into no wave, but it's a bit too noisey)
- Nihilistic Spasm Band (did I spell all that right? Haven't listened to 'em in years)
- X-Legged Sally (HYPER complex jazzy noise rock)
- Coachwhips (amazing garage rock but produced to a noise blur, GREAT band, better than pink and brown)
- Ex-Models (not the first two albums.. but their third one is great great noise rock)
- Skullflower (not.. total noise rock.. you get the idea)

As for stuff that's definitely no wave noisey kinda stuff, I'd reccomend:
- Scissor Girls
- DNA
- Contortions
- Mars
- 8-Eyed Spy
- Sick Lipstick
- Erase Errata (first couple of albums)
- Theoretical Girls
- Scissor Shock
- Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
stuff like that.

As for what a Dinosaur Jr. fan might like, I'd simply reccomend:
- Swirlies
- Band of Susans
- Electro Group
- Pavement ("Slanted"-era)
- Scissor Shock
- Archers of Loaf (ICKY FUCKING METTLE)

Labels worth checking into:
- Amphetamine Reptile
- Skin Graft
- ..sigh.. Load
- Touch and Go
amongst others.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a brain fart this morning and can't think of many to list, ask me tomorrow.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.06.2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
Polvo
Unwound
Lightning Bolt
Boredoms
Melt Bannana
Arab on Radar
Comets on Fire
Acid Mothers Temple
Boris

Lightning Bolt but no Hella?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.06.2007 03:53 PM

It is weird seeing (((microwaves))) mentioned, I think they recorded one of their albums in the studio of the radio station I used to DJ at. I think.

atsonicpark 12.06.2007 03:54 PM

Hella ain't noise rock, it's some kind of mathy prog thing. And Lightning Bolt sounds NOTHING like Hella.

king_buzzo 12.06.2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hmm.. in my mind, Shellac has never been nor never will be considered "noise rock" (except by people who update wikipedia). There's really nothing noisey about them, unless having super-trebley guitar is considered "noise rock" (I can already feel it.. I'm waiting for it... "WHAT ABOUT MAMA GINA??? THEREE'S NOISE IN THAT!!!!!!"). Obviously, Rapeman and Big Black = noise rock. But Shellac? No way. Same goes with Jesus Lizard, is it really even noisey? Maybe the vocals. But they definitely didn't start out too noisey and DEFINITELY didn't end noisey. But I guess they could be included.

As for "all bands Albini has been in", why do people constantly overlook his stint in Flour? Great band.

As for "all the bands Albini produced", granted he's produced some "noise rock" like Space Streakings, Distorted Pony, stuff like that, but I'd say 70% of his recorded output isn't noise rock at all. Jawbreaker? Joanna Newsom? Fred from B-52's? Jon Spencer? The Ghost? Page/Plant? The Auteurs? Need I keep going? Not noise rock in the least.

As for the Bush thing, Bush isn't too bad, that album he produced by them is way noisier than some of the bands listed here in fact. And the Pixies album he produced has their noisiest song: Vamos!

Anyway.. back on topic and at the top of my head.. (and I'm trying not to mention too many no wave bands, since they could be lumped in as "Noise rock")..
- Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 (way too melodic to be considered "noise rock" but yeah, worth checking out if you're into noise rock)
- Cherubs (the band that did "Heroin Man")
- Truman's Water
- Distorted Pony (mentioned 'em above, excellent band)
- Bastro (similiar to Distorted Pony, very good with an amazing drummer)
- Mount Shasta ("Put Your Creep On" is probably the best 'noise rock' album ever)
- Point Line Plane (two keyboards playing distorted noise rocking stuff with references to stuff like Screamers)
- Bride of No No (kinda no wavey, kinda proggy, noise rock GENIUSES, best band that no one ever pays attention to)
- Pre (kinda references no wave too but..)
- Limited Express (Has Gone?) (Melt Banana-ish, so yeah, but some of their stuff is really poppy and minimal)
- Flying Luttenbachers (jazzy noise rock)
- Zeni fuckin Geva!
- Happy Flowers
- XBXRX (again, approaches no wave, but some of their stuff is total noise rock)
- Unsane
- Cutthroats 9
- Theory of Ruin
- Cows (kind of a drunken punk noise rock)
- RUINS (kind of a prog noise rock)
- Neptune
- Mindflayer (don't really care for 'em, but they're worth checking out)
- Mae Shi (some of their stuff is real mathy, some is real noisey, kind of a perplexing band)
- The 1985 (see above)
- Hair Police (lumped in with "noise, total noise, not noise rock", their stuff with drums could be considered noise "rock" because, well, it rocks)
- Lightning Bolt
- U.S. Maple
- Melt Banana
- Half Japanese
- Dazzling Killmen (a bit too mathy and jazzy, but it has really really harsh noise parts too)
- Collossamite (see above)
- Black Dice (early stuff)
- Arab on Radar
- AIDS Wolf (fucking hate them, but .. yeah)
- You Fantastic!
- Deerhoof (reeeeeeeeeeeally stretching the term "noise rock" for that one, but their early stuff definitely is)
- Pussy Galore
- Yowie (basically, the most complex band I've ever heard, there's about 9000 time changes a second, and by definition it's not "noise rock" but.. it's SO complex and pounding that it will give you a similiar migraine to noise rock)
- Vomit Lunch
- Medicine (obscure noise rock band I randomly found on soulseek once and haven't found any info on since)
- Helmet (not usually thought of as noise rock; listen to Strap It On..)
- Japanther (poppy fuzzed out stuff with overdistorted noise vocals and shitty production)
- Guitar Wolf (garage rock that is produced like a fucking Merzbow album)
- Xinlisupreme (hmm.. Big Black drum machine, My Bloody Valentine guitar walls, and almost poppy hooks combined with huge Merzbow-ish production; odd little band)
- Sun City Girls (only a little bit, but some of their stuff could fit in with noise rock)
- Caroliner (see above, but a bit more)
- Drive Like Jehu (like mentioned above, Yank Crime is fucking amazing!)
- God Bullies
- Halo of Flies
- godheadSilo (a bit "un-noisey" for noise rock, but I don't know how else to describe them; good band)
- Six Finger Satellite (only some of their stuff could be considered noise rock, I'm thinking "severe exposure"-era)
- Polvo (again, they're not even that noisey, it's like Thinking Fellers Union: brilliant band who utilizes noise for their advantage at times)
- Unwound
- Scissor Shock (definitely, if you're into noise rock at all but want something a bit weirder, check out Scissor Shock)
- Pogo the Clown
- Helios Creed
- Chrome
- Mr. Bungle (only occassionally jumps into "noise rock" territory but it's there)
- Squirrel Bait (imagine Husker Du that's a bit more angular.. did I spell that right?... with yelled vocals and thick sheens of trebled guitar)
- Darth Vegas (see above)
- Vicious Hairy Mary (see above)
- Naked City (see above)
- Mog Stunt Team
- Lubricated Goat
- The Ex (some of thier stuff, mainly later era)
- Goon Moon (newest album is stoner metal kinda stuff with some eccentricies, first album was like a noise rock band who had listened to Devo and the Residents and were trying to cover Sleep at the same time; weird band, lump 'em in how you will)
- Brainiac (hmm.. I feel odd putting them here, but they definitely have some noise rocking stuff)
- Heroine Sheiks
- Old Lady Drivers (kind of an industrial noise rock sludge, really fucking good shit also known as simply OLD)
- Gas Huffer
- Gear Jammer
- Athletic Automation
- (((microwaves))) (six finger satellite-ish abrasive pounding noise rock)
- Curse of the Birthmark (also lumped into no wave, but it's a bit too noisey)
- Nihilistic Spasm Band (did I spell all that right? Haven't listened to 'em in years)
- X-Legged Sally (HYPER complex jazzy noise rock)
- Coachwhips (amazing garage rock but produced to a noise blur, GREAT band, better than pink and brown)
- Ex-Models (not the first two albums.. but their third one is great great noise rock)
- Skullflower (not.. total noise rock.. you get the idea)

- Scissor Girls
- DNA
- Contortions
- Mars
- 8-Eyed Spy
- Sick Lipstick
- Theoretical Girls
- Scissor Shock
- Teenage Jesus and the Jerks
stuff like that.

As for what a Dinosaur Jr. fan might like, I'd simply reccomend:
- Swirlies
- Band of Susans
- Electro Group
- Pavement ("Slanted"-era)
- Scissor Shock
- Archers of Loaf (ICKY FUCKING METTLE)

Labels worth checking into:
- Amphetamine Reptile
- Skin Graft
- ..sigh.. Load
- Touch and Go
amongst others.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a brain fart this morning and can't think of many to list, ask me tomorrow.

fuck. nice list!

atsonicpark 12.06.2007 04:40 PM

thanks, i thought of some more since then but i'm too lazy to edit it.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.06.2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Hella ain't noise rock, it's some kind of mathy prog thing. And Lightning Bolt sounds NOTHING like Hella.

To me they are similar in someways. Some of their riffs seem similar.

Rob Instigator 12.06.2007 04:50 PM

Hella is METAL through and through.

UNSANE my friend. GET SOME UNSANE
If you can find it get the 1991 singles compilation.

Unwound
Polvo
Eric's Trip (in a low fi way, VERY noisy)
Jesus Lizard
early BUTTHOLE SURFERS

atsonicpark 12.06.2007 04:54 PM

METAL?!

Hella are very very clean and intricate, to me they .. I dunno .. I guess math .. prog .. yeah. Fuck it, I don't care about genres.

Spectral, I'm really not sure what you mean by "some of their riffs are similiar". Lightning Bolt makes 8 minute songs out of one chord. Their songs are usually one or two riffs pounding away. Hella is very very intricate with heavily picked clean single notes. Way different. Though their drummers are similiar, I guess (in that they're both fucking lunatics).

Rob Instigator 12.06.2007 05:04 PM

metal is also very clean and intricate. have you never heard Iron maiden? Geezz! I hates me all these fucking bands that play HEAVY METAL but are pegge as "punk" or "indie" or some other fucking moniker.

Hella is METAL

The Fucking Champs is METAL

and they suck ass toooo

atsonicpark 12.06.2007 05:25 PM

Haha well.

If you're simply referring to "theres no 666 in outer space", I could maybe stretch the term enough to fit "kinda metal".

But there's no way "hold your horse is" is metal..

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.06.2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

METAL?!

Hella are very very clean and intricate, to me they .. I dunno .. I guess math .. prog .. yeah. Fuck it, I don't care about genres.

Spectral, I'm really not sure what you mean by "some of their riffs are similiar". Lightning Bolt makes 8 minute songs out of one chord. Their songs are usually one or two riffs pounding away. Hella is very very intricate with heavily picked clean single notes. Way different. Though their drummers are similiar, I guess (in that they're both fucking lunatics).

The drummers being fucking lunatics must be it.

_slavo_ 12.07.2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

- Scissor Girls
- DNA
- Contortions
- Mars
- 8-Eyed Spy
- Sick Lipstick
- Theoretical Girls